Winchester M1 Carbine

This is the forum to discuss your classic US military rifles from the beginning of the age of smokeless powder through WWII.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri May 23, 2008 12:47 pm

Came from an NVA soldier that no longer needed it. Place called Chantrea in the Parrots Beak of Cambodia in May of 1970. Part of Nixon's "Cambodian Incursion". Cause of Kent State and all kinds of hell back in the US at the time.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sat May 24, 2008 1:49 pm

Interesting, do you still have it?

Joe
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat May 24, 2008 2:20 pm

I gave it to a friend who was returning back to the "world" to take home as a souvenir. I didn't want to have to keep track of it for another six months of my tour so giving it away seemed a good thing to do at the time. He never got it home according to his sister whom I have come in contact with in recent years. He lost it somewhere on the way home. The best that can be determined was that he took it with him as carryon luggage and left it in a bar in an airport somewhere along the way. HIs sister says her mom says he was a little upset when he got home in losing something on the trip but doesn't remember what. I think it must have been the hat. I never had any communication with the guy after I last saw him in Vietnam. He died some years ago.
Drake
Regular visitor

Post by Drake » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:08 am

Not certain which of my threads to put this in, so this one's good as any. Just a photo I took this afternoon.

http://hooverae.com/upload/files/100608/3740396.jpeg[/pic]
Niner
Site Admin

Now that's a collection.

Post by Niner » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:08 pm

The Thompson is a particularly good addition.

You posted in the right string....just these strings seem to wander a bit at this site. :oops:
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:38 am

A couple of weeks ago, Big 5 Sporting Goods had M-1 carbines for $999. Said they were made by Inland, I think. Is that a lot for an M-1 ?

Big 5 is the largest sporting goods store in the western US, they have about 350 stores in 11 western states. Every week they have some sort of milsurp in their ad, this week it was MN M-44s for $99. It seems to be Mosins, except an occasional Mauser and this M-1.

I have bought a 91/30 and a M-38 from them and both seem to be in "good" shape.

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Depends

Post by Niner » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:36 am

If it has all matching numbers and is in excellent condition...add in a few other must haves...it could be worth that. But I wouldn't pay that much unless they had a verified and certified letter saying Audie Murphy personnally took a shot at Adolph with it......and at least nicked him.

At a recent gun show it looks like a run of the mill pretty good M1 carbine with at least some war time parts will cost you about $700. Of course that's probably too high also.

Take a look at what the CMP was, and to an extent, IS offering them for from various government related sources. If I remember right these came back from the Italian government.

http://www.odcmp.com/rifles/carbine.htm

There are also a lot of Universal carbines around that are knock offs that are available for $300 or $400 too.
Drake
Regular visitor

Re: Winchester M1 Carbine

Post by Drake » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:21 pm

Another youtube video -

Myself loading and firing the M1 Carbine and taking out some one gallon water jugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmc3nEQrpVg
Wulf

Post by Wulf » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:52 pm

That is an Inland stock not a Springfield. That is also a replacement barrel.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:04 pm

Welcome to the site Wulf. It looks like you know more than the average collector about M1 Carbines. That's great. We look forward to your helpful comments. Please expand on what you point out from observation. Always good to pick up some pointers from someone who is knowledgeable.