US Property marked trainers

This is the forum to discuss your classic US military rifles from the beginning of the age of smokeless powder through WWII.
sakorick

US Property marked trainers

Post by sakorick » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:02 pm

I have been collecting .22's and especially US property marked trainers since 1957. My collection includes:

1. Eight Mossberg M44US including SN 35 the earliest SN known to exist. SN 100001 to 115000 were equipped with the Lyman 57MS peep and SN115001 to end of production had the Mossberg S-100 peep. Mossberg 44US SN block started at 100001 through approximately 165000.

2. Three Mossberg M144US X barrel target rifles. SN range 0001 to approximately 3500. Sights were Redfield 68 front and Redfield 75 peep.
3. Two M42M-B Lend Lease marked US property. One with British proofs and one without. Noteworthy are the two piece Mannlicher stocks, S101 hood ramp front sight and S-102 Receiver peep with four adjustable apertures. Many of these rifles were returned to the US having been nitro proofed and upgraded Parker Hale peep sights(Very arguable) installed.
4. One Remington Matchmaster513T US Property with stock cartouches and Redfield hard sights. Manufactured May,1943.
5. One Stevens416 US Property, Original Stevens receiver peep, Tombstone front sight, Cartouches, Period correct Unertl 14 power scope, 10X barrel. Approximately 10000 of them manufactured during WWII and post war.

Here is the collection after cleaning this summer. Comments welcome. Regards, Rick.

Last edited by sakorick on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M14man
Sustaining Member

Re: US Property marked trainers

Post by M14man » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:17 pm

Awesome!
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:17 am

That is quite a collection. When you first posted I thought you may be new to collecting. Looks like you are ahead of most of us in having a serious collection. Thanks for posting.
sakorick

Post by sakorick » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Well, Niner, I've been at it awhile. :) Where abouts in LA are you from? I spent lots of my time in the old days at Ft Rucker. Regards, Rick.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm down on the coast around Mobile where the hurricane warnings are starting up. :AL:

Did you fly one of the Huey's ?
Dutch Mosin
Leading Member

Post by Dutch Mosin » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Fantastic collection Rick.
Just keep them pictures and stories coming.
I love 'em.

BTW:
Here are some pictures of the only .22 I own.
It's a Polish WZ48.
Not exactly a US military rifle. :oops:
I hope Robert forgives me for posting these in here. :D

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin
sakorick

Post by sakorick » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Niner wrote:I'm down on the coast around Mobile where the hurricane warnings are starting up. :AL:

Did you fly one of the Huey's ?
Yes I did. 1st tour in Vietnam I flew the Huey B model gunship and 2d tour I flew the Huey Cobra gunship. Good luck on dodging the bad storm and keep us posted. Regards, Rick.
sakorick

Post by sakorick » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Dutch Mosin wrote:Fantastic collection Rick.
Just keep them pictures and stories coming.
I love 'em.

BTW:
Here are some pictures of the only .22 I own.
It's a Polish WZ48.
Not exactly a US military rifle. :oops:
I hope Robert forgives me for posting these in here. :D
Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin
A polish rifle in the US Military forum????? I forgive you as it's a beauty! :D ;) I bet it's a tack driver too! :!: Regards, Rick.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Martin, a trainer .22 is a trainer .22.. nothing to forgive. The whole point, in my mind, is just to get guys talking to each other. As you know, over the years I've probably put a turn in more strings than anybody else as a notion would strike. :oops:

Rick, those Huey B's were used on extractions in the 9th, flying support for the slicks, and we just called them gunships. In the 101st they were "ARA" and were known as ...I think... "Aerial Rocket Artillery" and seemed to operate in larger groups. Cobra's were really comforting in close support and could bring a lot of heat. We used to see them all the time in Hunter-Killer teams with LOH's too. I always admired the chopper pilots such as yourself whatever kind of bird they were flying and whatever their mission.
sakorick

Post by sakorick » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:39 am

Niner wrote:Martin, a trainer .22 is a trainer .22.. nothing to forgive. The whole point, in my mind, is just to get guys talking to each other. As you know, over the years I've probably put a turn in more strings than anybody else as a notion would strike. :oops:

Rick, those Huey B's were used on extractions in the 9th, flying support for the slicks, and we just called them gunships. In the 101st they were "ARA" and were known as ...I think... "Aerial Rocket Artillery" and seemed to operate in larger groups. Cobra's were really comforting in close support and could bring a lot of heat. We used to see them all the time in Hunter-Killer teams with LOH's too. I always admired the chopper pilots such as yourself whatever kind of bird they were flying and whatever their mission.
My 2d tour I was a Cobra IP assigned to the 101st, A Btry 4/77 Aerial Rocket Artillery at Phu Bai....Gosh, that was 41 years ago. Most of the chopper pilots were issued 38's for sidearms but I scrounged a 1944 Remington M1911A1 the pistol that got me interested in Milsurps. I figured if they could last that long and still be flawless there might be something in taking a closer look at old military small arms. My first Milsurp was a 1903A3 Smith Corona($14.95) that sadly I converted to a sporter. :oops: It's been replaced though. I really didn't get into the foreign rifles until about 15 years ago. Regards, Rick.