how about some MI Carbines

This is the forum to discuss your classic US military rifles from the beginning of the age of smokeless powder through WWII.
sakorick

how about some MI Carbines

Post by sakorick » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:22 pm

I am still looking for a Rockola and IBM but this is my collection so far:

From the top, Detroit Police Department 1944 Inland mixmaster, 7th precinct rack 18, 1944 correct Inland, 5.7M correct Winchester with T marked action, 4.3M correct National Postal Meter, 1944 correct Quality Hardware restoration with new barreled action and stock, 1943 Underwood correct, Bavarian Forrest Police and Tyrol Police marked this was a CMP rifle that only needed a front sight and trigger to make correct.

Niner
Site Admin

Re: how about some MI Carbines

Post by Niner » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:52 am

Now that's a serious carbine collection.

I got a "real" Standard Products. I posted about it before. It's got parts from probably a half dozen parts suppliers, as was also pretty "standard" during the war and in making repairs over the years...but mine does date from WWII. From the deep rack number on the butt it seems to have come back to the US from Israel.....who would have thought Israel... America's most favored holy place and political sacred cow.... would be selling us arms instead of us gifting them arms? Well... politics aside and be that as it may. :)

I also have a Universal M1 carbine. It has Hialeah Florida engraved behind the site. It was totally made for the civilian market. However, many of the parts are from leftover surplus parts. The parts must have been new surplus, although few have any marks that would suggest the source.

I took a few photos of them side by side. Without trying it out... I'd bet all parts of both rifles would exchange with no difficulty.

The Universal carbine is the one with the lighter stock. And... Universal carbines are a collector item themselves. There is link to the main Internet site in our links forum. http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html
Attachments
two.jpg
magazine.jpg
receiver.jpg
sights.jpg
butt.jpg
butt plate.jpg
barrel top.jpg
underbarrel.jpg
sakorick

Post by sakorick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Why do you think Israel? Does it have a star of David on it anywhere? Regards, Rick.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:07 pm

I got it from SOG and that's how it was advertised as to source. I also read somewhere else that the numbered stock with the large deep numbers was a standard sign of an M1 that had been used by any agency of the Israeli government. The only marks on it are proof marks, US government acceptance mark, and parts factory initials. No Star of David or other identifying marks that would indicate Israel.
M14man
Sustaining Member

Post by M14man » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Here are my M1 carbines....
At the top of the group of 4 is an Inland M1A1 redone by Miltech, repro stock and it came in a wood crate
then my Universal fun gun with a 9X scope
followed by a 6 mil series Winchester
and lastly a 1943 Inland.
The next one is a Rockola 9/43
and lastly a late 1944 Inland.