I'm Still Here

Forum for firearms from the Orient.

Moderator: PeterN2

riceone
Contributing Member

I'm Still Here

Post by riceone » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Its been awhile since have posted but I'm still up and around at 80. Still work in my shop making parts and am now putting together a 22/250 using a T99 action and a 7x57 using a T38 action. My collecting has sort of stopped but I still have all I ever had and enjoy looking at them. Its getting difficult to find sporter stock to put on Japanese rifles. I still have the SEMCA meeting in February. Thanks for all the good memories. Roy (riceone)
Niner
Site Admin

Re: I'm Still Here

Post by Niner » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:24 pm

Good to see you posting Riceone.
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:33 pm

I was having a tidy up the other day and found the die you made for me to size .308 cases to 6.5 Japanese cases . I have it stored in the original box you shipped it in. I haven't converted any cases for a while, but it is there for when I do.
Regards
Peter.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:07 am

Hi Riceone nice to hear from you again.
riceone
Contributing Member

Post by riceone » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:36 pm

I have not been very active on any board in several year, but I do slip in every once in awhile to just keep in touch. I sold a swadge die to a guy several years back and he had not used it till now and found it would not screw in his press so he sent it back and I re-cut the threads and sent it back. He is going to make about 300 cases out of 243 brass to shot the rifle at Camp Perry. I'm interested in seeing how he comes out. I told him that i remembered reading in the Rifleman back in the early 60's that there was one or two fellows that shot at Camp Perry using rifles build on Japanese Arisaka action. I may try to find the article - I have all the magazines since I joined in 1960. This past winter I made two sporters and would post pictures if it is alright with the moderator. One is a 22/250 on a T99 action and the other is a 7x57 on a T38. riceone
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:56 pm

Good to see you posting and still alive and kicking.
riceone
Contributing Member

Post by riceone » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:01 pm

Well, I am still here but I am now 85. Still fool with my rifles, giving some away and selling some. Have a grandson who is very interested in old and new guns. I'm keeping him interested by giving him a rifle or two now and then. Friend of mine has a Japanese T38 Sniper and wanted a copy made. He found the correct rifle sent it to me and made the mounting block for the scope, installed it and lengthened the bolt handle and turned it down. Says he has it mounted in his gun room under his original T38 sniper with a sign under it "made by riceone".
riceone
Contributing Member

Post by riceone » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:10 pm

Reply to PeterN2 comments about the die i made for him years ago to swadge 308 brass into 6.5x50 Japanese.
No long ago a fellow wrote me about one of those swadge dies. Have not made one in years but rummaged around and found one and the parts that go with it and I sent it to him. Brought back a lot of memories.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:42 am

Nice to see you are still active my friend. Seems a long time since I first commented on your posts!
I have now morphed into a British Military Nut with Snider/Martini/Webley and SMLE's in the collection - all shooters. :D
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:53 am

Good to see you are still kicking riceone. Maybe this site will get fixed before many more months.....or go away.

I know what you mean about getting old and wondering what to do with the collection. I sold a few last year for the first time. I need to do it again this year. But....it's hard to let them go even when you know when you pass on what remains will be a bit of a headache to the next of kin. At least we have an inkling about value...although all of mine have gone up in value a lot better than any of my other investments.