My first Arisaka

Forum for firearms from the Orient.

Moderator: PeterN2

NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

My first Arisaka

Post by NLMosin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:44 pm

I bought an Arisaka at an auction and finally got it. Its definitely a last ditch as there is no cleaning rod or monopod mount. There is also no top of the stock on the barrel. There are obvious lathe turning marks on the stock at the pistol grip area. The rear sight is the circle and not the aircraft leaf.

If I am reading the numbers right it was made by Tokyo Juki Kogyo factory and is a series 27. I'm not sure yet if I will fire it as the bore is drilled offset to the barrel. I hope I'm describing it right. I'll post a pic of the numbers and the barrel issue below.
arisaka1.jpg
arisaka2.jpg
arisaka2.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 9932 times
barrel.jpg
barrel.jpg (9.29 KiB) Viewed 9932 times
At some point H.D. Young stamped his initials into the stock. It's visible in the first picture. If anyone knows old H.D. tell him I got his rifle!
Looking for a 1960 T53. Always wanted a Mosin as old as I am.... :lol:
NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Re: My first Arisaka

Post by NLMosin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:52 pm

Here are a couple more shots.
339.jpg
339.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 9930 times
339-1.jpg
339-5.jpg
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:30 pm

A interesting rifle Im not sure why the bore should be off centre. Maybe some one can shed some light on the subject. If you look down the barrel is it rifled.
NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Post by NLMosin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:41 pm

The bore looks great. Well defined rifling. It even looks like its chromed but I've read that the last ditch models weren't chromed. It's just part of the collection. Not sure about shooting it because of the bore offset issue.

Great to hear from you Dave. Hope all is well.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:16 pm

Hi Nick how are you doing I see your collection is growing. The offset bore is strange one Ill ask around and see if its common.

I'm cool just quietly mapping in the back ground. Rural Village is still running on the servers so that's cool.

For those folks that are wondering what I am talking about Iv known Nick a while he is a very well known 3d map builder for the Call of duty game series.
I am a big fan of his work. I learnt a lot from him and he has helped out a lot in the past with my map building.
We have got some new Guys at =3d= that map. I suggested that we should have a go at building a joint venture map something every one could contribute to no matter what there level of mapping skills are. Low and behold they thought it was a good idea so we have set up a drop box and are all working on a joint venture. We are all building individually then sticking the models in the drop box. Eventually we will build a map for release using the contents of the drop box.

Any way back on track BOOM. Keep your powder dry :lol:
PeterN2

Post by PeterN2 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:54 pm

That looks a rough and ready rifle. I would be tempted to put a few rounds through it assuming it checked out OK. From what I have read, even the substitute models should be safe to shoot. It might shoot great, or perhaps not. I would want to find out.
Thanks for showing it to us.
Regards
Peter.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:26 am

Agree with Peter about shooting it, I would try some gentle cast loads in it.

Joe
NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Post by NLMosin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:08 pm

Im in no rush to shoot it just now. I have a Chinese type 53 on the way...prefer to use up the tuna can of 7.62 I have before I invest 2 bucks a round for the 7.7 anyway...The type 53 is a shooter so the Arisaka will wait til Im feeling lucky.

I'll post some pics of the type 53 when it gets here. Its numbers matching and looks good in the pics.

Great bunch of guys...thanks for the responses!

:D
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:41 pm

I look forward to the pics. You need to start reading up on reloading now the next step is home made ammo. LOL
NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Post by NLMosin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:23 am

You read my mind Dave. I have a friend who does all his own reloading. We have had some pretty lengthy conversations about reloading. I think you know me well enough to know that Im not that interested in perfection....heck...you've seen my maps! LoL....one mistake on a map makes a glitch, one mistake while weighing powder makes a boom!

I think I'll buy the 'safe' stuff and not take the chance of blowing my nose off. I give the reloaders a lot of credit. It seems like risky business to me. Guess the best way I can describe it is that I will take out my own stitches...but I wont put them in!