type 38 stock marking question

Forum for firearms from the Orient.

Moderator: PeterN2

NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

type 38 stock marking question

Post by NLMosin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:19 pm

I bought this stock to replace the 'sported' one on my rifle. It has some great markings on the bottom. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas what they may say. I took the pic a bunch of times to see if the characters are more legible in some than in others. Thanks for looking!
stock1.jpg
stock2.jpg
Looking for a 1960 T53. Always wanted a Mosin as old as I am.... :lol:
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: type 38 stock marking question

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:49 am

Sometimes if you invert an image it can help. You never know :)
Attachments
stock2.jpg
stock2.jpg (250.02 KiB) Viewed 8411 times
stock2.jpg
stock2.jpg (250.02 KiB) Viewed 8411 times
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:31 am

That character with the circle around it I'd say is a series mark. But... don't see it .. exactly... in the information at this site.

http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html
NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Post by NLMosin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:00 pm

It kind of looks like the character for the number 7...

Thanks for the link Niner.

marks.jpg
marks.jpg (50.05 KiB) Viewed 8399 times
NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Post by NLMosin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:12 pm

Well heres a sad story. I bought a type 38 from an online auction. The stock was chopped up and I knew that so I also bought the stock in this thread as the replacement. I got the new stock and started to dismantle the 38 to give it a new home in the non-butchered stock. Nothing fit. How could that be? Well it turns out my 'sporter' 38 is really a 99. It was hard to tell from the pics as the rear of the bolt area wasnt that visible in the pic. So I contacted the auction house and the guy had an attitude with me, me, can you believe it?? But in the end I sent it back and got credited for it...less shipping of course. Now I have a beautiful 38 stock and no 38....

I know many of you would caution buying from online auctions, but its for the lack of knowledge they have in what they are selling that makes it worth the risk for me. This time it didnt go in my favor but I think at some point it will even the score. My SKS I bought at auction has a PU scope mount which was installed by the importer and Friday past I zero'd it in and it stayed true for 150 rounds...sometimes its fun to see what comes out of the box. There are no gun shops here that carry milsurps and the gun shows here are few and far between. Its really my only source...
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:53 pm

Good thing you figured it out before shooting it. 6.5x51 is different from 7.5x58....although it would probably be better to confuse the 99 for a 38 than the other way around it still wouldn't work out too good in the shooting exercise. Of course with "sporters" there is also the chance that the rifle has been converted to some other more common to find round too. But , as you say, you can sometimes get something a bit rare or exotic when the owner doesn't have any collecting interest.

Once I saw a trumpet advertised on ebay as a cheap student model because that was the case it was in. It was instead a top professional model worth much more than it was ever going to bring advertised as a bottom feeder student horn. I got to feeling sorry for the seller and sent him a message telling him what the horn was and how he ought to change his advertisement. Well... he didn't. Guess he figured I was butting into his business. I made a really low bid for what it actually was early on and never bid any more on it. Turned out I won the bid! And.. .I didn't feel bad about buying it because I told the guy several days before to change his description.
NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Post by NLMosin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:09 pm

Thats awesome. Im not sure I would have enlightend the guy. Maybe I would have. But yeah that would have been bad to mix up the rounds. Im not sure though if I would fire any Type 38 or 99. In my price range I wont get the healthy ones.

I just bought a type 38 yesterday at an auction and Im waiting to see what it looks like. If I got a gem because the seller didnt know what he had I think it'll be ok. I guess its my job as buyer not to get screwed by a smarmy seller, and his job as a seller to know what he is selling and get as much for it as he can. Im doing my job. He needs to do his.

I think these auction houses are in the business to dump the items they are hired to sell as fast and for as much as they can. The more auctions they do the more they make so chop chop. The extra effort it takes to sell the items the more profit for them. So get a description on the item and let the people who know what it is bid against each other for it.