308 to 6.5

Forum for firearms from the Orient.

Moderator: PeterN2

riceone
Contributing Member

308 to 6.5

Post by riceone » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:31 pm

The case on the left is fired 308, next is the case I have just run through the die and then through a Lee full length sizing die and third case is an unfired Norma. You will have a little to trim off the OL. First case is .474" at base, second is .458" and third is .447".

I corrected the above, had second and third cases switched. riceone
Attachments
DSC03114.JPG
PeterN2

Made up a case

Post by PeterN2 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:26 pm

I have made up a converted dummy round from .308W to try for fit in my rifles. It chambers fine in the Type 38 Carbine and rifle and requires a little pressure (not much) to turn the bolt down on the Type 44 Carbine. The Type 44 has a tighter chamber than the Type 38s. The converted .220 Swift cases I have been using don't bulge as much in the T44 as they do in the T38s. It should work fine though. I will now convert a batch of cases for each rifle, load them up and try them out on the range.

Regards

Peter.
riceone
Contributing Member

Post by riceone » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:42 pm

Peter, that's about par for the course. A few chambers are tighter than others and for those use Graf or Norma. You could also be encountering a little neck thickness, that will make on chamber a little tight. riceone
awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:34 pm

Roy, I (infact I stole it) got a solution for the too fat case head problem on the reformed brass!

Got no own pics so far, but look at the site of a swiss fellow shooter.

He converted .45LC brass to .455 Webley and the setup he uses to hold the case in the lathe is real good:

http://www.hasitec.ch/455webley.htm

Chris
riceone
Contributing Member

Post by riceone » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:29 pm

Chris, that is a brilliant idea. I will remember that. You can't beat a German mind - very smart people. Just across the river in Arkansas there is a city by the name of Stuttgart, a large settlement of Germans settled there long ago and hence the name. There are a lot of small manufacturing shops in the area that make specalized equipment for farming rice. Being inventive type people they began by making tools that they needed to farm rice with and then expanded and make it to sell using the same labor in the winter to do that, that they used to farm with. riceone.
awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:50 am

Thoe people in Arkansas Stuttgart are Suabians, they are known to work hard. We have asaying here for Suabians :"Schaffe, schaffe, Häusle baue"(Working, working, building houses).

Since some of the Suabians migrated to Switzerland, it is possible, that the "inventor" of the setup, Mr. Matthias Hassler(he is a moderator in our german forum) is of suabian boold :cool:

Chris