Arisaka T99 intermediate rifle

Forum for firearms from the Orient.

Moderator: PeterN2

PeterN2

Arisaka T99 intermediate rifle

Post by PeterN2 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:46 pm

This is my new Type 99 Arisaka rifle. This was made later in WW2 when materials were getting in short supply and shortcuts were being made in production of the rifles. I think this is from late 1943 early 1944? Riceone will know :) The bolt, safety knob and extractor are matching but the firing pin is from a different rifle as it is not a matching number. The bore is bright and shiney. This rifle has been a bit rusty at some time as the exposed metal at the muzzle has some pitting and has been cleaned up and coated in something. The action top has had the same treatment. This means that it is not a rifle for the purist collector, but as an example of a mid/late war rifle it will do for me.

A few pics.
Aris T99 full right.JPG
Aris T99 full right.JPG (28.27 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
Aris T99 full left.JPG
Aris T99 full left.JPG (28.52 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
Aris T99 action right.JPG
Aris T99 action left.JPG
One of the shortcuts. They omitted the 'Type 99' stamp from the action top.
Aris T99 action top.JPG
The monopod has been omitted and a plain barrel band in lieu of the slotted monbloc type.
Aris T99 band.JPG
The sight ears have been omitted and the front barrel band is a two screw type instead of the earlier three screw type. The cleaning rod is missing. It should have a short 4 7/8 inch rod.
Aris T99 muzzle.JPG
The buttplate is now made of wood and not a cupped metal type and is held on with three nails instead of screws. The sling swivel is a one screw type instead of the two screw type on the earlier rifles.
Aris T99 butt plate.JPG
Aris T99 butt.JPG
The rear sight is a standard ladder sight and no longer has the anti-aircraft arms.
Aris T99 sight.JPG
The marks for the Toyo Kogyo arsenal in the Hiroshima prefecture. The character in front of the serial number is the series 34 mark.
Aris T99 marks.JPG
It is a very nice rifle and I am looking forward to shooting it.

Regards

Peter.
riceone
Contributing Member

New Rifle

Post by riceone » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:59 pm

Hello Peter, that is a beautiful rifle. First thing caught my eye was the pretty stock. Looks like original finish and not used as the buttplate is not scared up. Today I was riding from one field to another thinking about if I only had one rifle what you it be? My thoughts was a late war T99, like this one, or a 30-30 Winchester. The date you place on it is about right, I think. A solid no frills dependable rifle with nothing to go amis. Congratulation on finding such a nice rifle.
riceone
Contributing Member

Post by riceone » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:55 pm

Peter, I come here every day just to look at that stock, georgeous!! riceone
PeterN2

I like it as well

Post by PeterN2 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:23 pm

Thanks for the comments. I admit to taking it out of the cabinet and looking at it quite often. I am itching to shoot it. I have got 50 Norma cases all primed and ready. I have just got to get to the gun shop tomorrow and get some powder as I have run out. If I can get them loaded I am at the range on Sunday.

Regards

Peter.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:46 am

Did you get to the range Peter?

Joe
PeterN2

i got to the range..

Post by PeterN2 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:55 pm

...but I was one of the range officers so I didn't get to shoot :( It was raining anyway and I am more of a fair weather shooter than an amphibious one. I will have it out the next time I go. I had got the cases loaded within an hour or so of getting home with the powder :)

Regards

Peter.
drpoulos

Post by drpoulos » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:02 pm

I just bought a late 33 series and the stock has that same red color. Did Toyo Kogyo use different wood? Does yours have the hole for the cleaning rod? Is the end of your safety smooth or rough? Thanks for the information. Steven Poulos
riceone
Contributing Member

S33

Post by riceone » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:03 pm

I have a Series 33 that is the same color and far as I know the wood is the same as others. Mine has a knurled safety know, short screw in rod, full top handgurad and ladder type rear sight with slide for AA wings but no wings. Butt plate is metal and has a four digit serial number - so early in the series. riceone.
PeterN2

Safety and rod

Post by PeterN2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:55 pm

Steven, the safety is smooth and there is the hole for the cleaning rod.

Regards

Peter.
drpoulos

Post by drpoulos » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:57 pm

Peter,

Thanks for the information. I'll be able to pick it up next week (10 day waiting period).

I'll post pictures as soon as I clean it up a bit.

Steve