Recent login problems....February 2011

Members please check here for useful information about site features. New members introduce yourself here as your first post if you like.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Recent login problems....February 2011

Post by Niner » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:20 am

Over the last few days there has been experienced, by several people, a login error. What will happen is that you may be told that you can't login because you have made too many recent attempts to login unsuccessfully. Then you will be directed to login again and additionally type in a series of letters and numbers......and sometimes won't show you the numbers and letters to type. We are investigating a cure for this problem and have a plan to correct it. However, if this problem happens to you while we are working on a fix, hit the forgot password button. If your email is correct then you will be emailed a new password. Then go back and login with the new password and you should be able to login. After you are in, go to your user controls and change the password to whatever you want.

We think this is a problem caused by program bugs or server update bugs and not the result of any outside attack to the site or to any group of user names.

If your email has changed, or if the solution I'm discribing doesn't get you in to the site as logged in, shoot me an email with some details of who you are and what your handle is and there are a few other things I can do from my end.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Recent login problems....February 2011

Post by Woftam » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:34 am

I experienced this the other day but I was logging in at work.
Just assumed it was related to the work security programmes. Haven't experienced it at home.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:35 am

Joesyclosey had the problem the other day. My other site is experiencing the same login problem. I noticed I can't give a user a new password at my end and make the new login work. Upsetting when things aren't going right. However, I'm sure things will get back to "normal" when we figure out a solution.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:15 pm

If you had trouble logging in recently there is now a patch in place that should correct the problem until a more substantial fix can be made later this week. Use your last handle and password if you wish to login.