NEW MEMBERS WHO DON'T STAY LONG

Members please check here for useful information about site features. New members introduce yourself here as your first post if you like.

Moderator: Niner

WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO MOVE ON?

It's too technical here!
No votes
It's not technical enough!
No votes
It's too difficult to navigate!
No votes
It doesn't cover my interest!
100%
I just don't like the setup
No votes

Total votes: 1
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

NEW MEMBERS WHO DON'T STAY LONG

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun May 15, 2011 6:01 am

First of all, welcome, we hope that you stay and enjoy the forum and that you feel able to join in with all that goes on here. :bigsmile:

If you joined and then decided it was not for you or not what you thought we would really like to know so we can look at the problem and put it right.
Our site will only improve if people help it along so if it's not what you thought, please tell us.............we'd appreciate that a lot. Just use the Poll to tell us more :)

Thanks
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
rice paddy daddy

Re: NEW MEMBERS WHO DON'T STAY LONG

Post by rice paddy daddy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:36 pm

There are those of us also, who visit but don't post a lot. I try to contribute as best as I can, but even having been a shooter and owner for 50+ years, I still don't have a lot of technical expertise.
There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
Winston Churchill
Member: VFW, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, Society of the 5th Infantry Division
Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Post by Dave 101 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:44 pm

I think its a good site overall , a good mix of subjects , the only down side it can be a bit slow , but theres a lot of competition out there . Iam a mod on another shooting forum and thats slow as well . To be honest the more intelligent forums are slow because theres not all the idiots on there making silly comments and slagging each other off .
The problem with forums is how do you advertise them ? Your looking at a limited number of people in a minority sport , its not polite to go onto other forums and promote yourself .

Dave :GBR:
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:08 pm

Good to get some response. I think what prompted this poll is all those who log-in and post one time and get a lot of welcome aboard response and then are never seen again. And with all sorts of blockers in place now to keep the crapola registrations and machine posts away, overwhelmingly, most registrations are at least "real people".... which means that those who register and actually post once had to at least make an effort. The question is ...why do they seem to post once or twice and then go away? Is there something the site could do better?

I think a lot of them are just like the people...who for whatever mysterious reason....like to write their name in public places. Maybe it gives them some kind of minor temporary thrill.

Many of us visit other forums that we don't often post at. I'm as guilty of that as anybody else. But ..most of the ones I don't post at I feel I don't fit in and accordingly don't post. But here.... I want it to be open to comment of different points of view about anything. This site is seeking comment from people from all over and from very different backgrounds and different interests on whatever comes up. When we do this it naturally cuts down on participation by those who are looking for the "we all feel and think the same" point of view that most websites protect and nurture.
rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:41 am

Niner, there's one gun forum that I have been a member of for 6 years, and I think I've got 4 posts. :shock:
But I really do enjoy this site, because of the international membership. I mean where else can I see even a picture of a rifle made by BSA? :)
So, keep up the good work, please.
I'll try to post more.
Winston Churchill
Member: VFW, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, Society of the 5th Infantry Division
Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Post by Dave 101 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:54 am

Hi Paddy /

It all depends on what sort of BSA you want to see .
International MkII , Model 12 in .22 Remington Jet . 12/15 . Model 12 and a couple of Vickers Armstrongs

Or a Long Lee

Hope that satisfies the craving .

Dave
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:09 pm

The site isn't going away in the foreseeable future Rice Paddy Daddy. I'm glad you enjoy it. I hope a lot of other people we don't see post often do too. The site will rise and fall with the tide and I don't see it going on short rations just because the winds are calm and the sails slack.

I like the fact that we have evolved with an international flavor. I think this wide geography of users has been the primary value to the site.

Oh...Dave... that was quick and a great example of the beneficial collecting perspective a guy from the UK can offer those of us elsewhere.
rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:45 pm

Another very positive thing about this site is the absence of uncivil people. :bigsmile:
Winston Churchill
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:26 pm

I will second that its very rare you get any heat on this forum.
Its normally sensible debate and informative content.