Why I don't reload.........

This is where to ask questions and offer experiences about the art and science of ammunition building. Also observations about any acquired ammo.

Moderators: Brass Rat, dhtaxi

Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Why I don't reload.........

Postby Niner Delta » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:15 pm

Here is another reason, among several, that I don't reload. This was one afternoon in the woods..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
We always pick up after ourselves when we are done..... :D
Although I still have a lot of steel case left, am trying to go to brass case in all the different sizes,
except of course the 7.62x54r.

Attachments
shells.jpg
Vern.

My life is an open book. But it's very poorly written and I die in the end.

Niner
Site Admin

Re: Why I don't reload.........

Postby Niner » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:11 pm

Another problem is that surplus military ammo is Berdan primed. What you want is Boxer primed. The military ammo has two small fire holes where the boxer has only one. The reloading tool is for boxer with one long shaft that removes the spent primer. Berdan requires another procedure that blows the spent primer out.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:13 pm

I had heard both of those names, but never knew the difference.

Vern.

My life is an open book. But it's very poorly written and I die in the end.

Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:46 pm

There is a a guy on youtube that shows how to remove spent berdan primers using water and plunger and a hammer. He says with new berdan primers, which are not easy to find I'd think, you can reload 7.62x39 but if you go to 7.62x54r then you have to put in a shim made from a copper tube...he shows this in a video too. But in the Nagant ammo you can put in a center hole where the "anvil" is on the Berdan case and use regular big rifle boxer primers after you put in the copper sleeve that also covers the extra case fire holes. Seems like a lot of trouble to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0q0E4GtSa4
NuJudge
Contributing Member

Berdan reloading is ... different.

Postby NuJudge » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:35 am

I've been reloading Berdan-primed cases since the mid-1970s. Berdan primers have been made in a wide variety of sizes, heights, hardnesses & explosive strengths. Getting someone to import them is the biggest problem. The Berdan-primed 7.62x39 always has a .217" diameter primer, but it is shorter than most .217" primers, harder, and has less explosive. The last appropriate primers for it were made by Murom in Russia and imported by TulAmmo, with the part number KV-24N. These did not work for me in full-power cartridges, giving me duds and hangfires.

TulAmmo also imported another Murom-made .217" primer, the KV-762N. This was taller, softer, and had more explosive, and was intended for full-power cartridges such as the 7.5x55. I used some of them in the 7.62x39 and got slam fires.

Most 7.62x54R Berdan cases use .254" primers. The last of these imported was about 1970, made by RWS in Germany. Albanian and very early Bulgarian 7.62x54R were made using .217" Berdan primers.

There are a zillion other diameters.

The Russian primers are banned from import because of sanctions, and I have little hope we will ever see any more imported.

Return to “Handloading, Reloading, Ammuntion”