Turret Presses

This is where to ask questions and offer experiences about the art and science of ammunition building. Also observations about any acquired ammo.

Moderators: Brass Rat, dhtaxi

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Turret Presses

Postby DuncaninFrance » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Anyone got any comments / observations regarding the use of a Turret Press v an 'O' frame in re-loading .303", 8x60s and 7mm-08Rem :?:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Woftam » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:38 am

I have an O frame, a C frame and a Turret head press.

The O frame is used for full length resizing (mainly of the .303 cases), the C frame for depriming and the turret head for all other reloading.

This set-up is more about ease of use more than anything else. With the O frame the dies are rarely changed, the C frame is never changed (it has a universal depriming die) and the turret head allows up to six different dies at a time. Currently it is set for .303, .222 and .22 hornet (resizing & bullet seating).

Being a lazy sod by inclination and training I like the turret head press as I only have to rotate the head to change from resizing to bullet seating or to change calibre.

With the other Cadet I am purchasing a turret head press is part of the deal so this will be set up for .310 leaving me with spare capacity for two other calibres.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:04 pm

If I had to choose one press I would always choose a single station as opposed to a turret press.

It would be a single station cast iron press a rcbs rock chucker or the lyman crusher for example or perhaps the new lee cast press.

I have the lyman crusher it does every thing I need it to it will easily size 303 cases.

I also have a lee turret I cant remember the last time I used it.
Brass Rat

Postby Brass Rat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:48 pm

I am ordering a Lee classic turret press as soon as midwayusa has them back in stock.

I will continue to FL size on my single stage Lee cast press. I am primarily interested in using the turret press for seating and crimping when loading rifle rounds.

When loading .30 carbine it was a pain to set up the seating die just right and then have to re adjust it again to put a taper crimp on.

I will be able to put the Hornady sizer, expander, seater and Lee factory crimp die on the turret.
DuncaninFrance

Postby DuncaninFrance » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:50 am

dhtaxi wrote:If I had to choose one press I would always choose a single station as opposed to a turret press.
It would be a single station cast iron press a rcbs rock chucker or the lyman crusher for example or perhaps the new lee cast press.
I have the lyman crusher it does every thing I need it to it will easily size 303 cases.
I also have a lee turret I cant remember the last time I used it.

Send it over here Dave, I will look after it for you mate!! :lol: :lol: I can even arrange for it to be collected at no cost to you; Just pack it up for parcel post and give me the weight and dims and I will arrange the rest - can't say fairer than that can I :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Postby dromia » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:58 pm

There is no point in getting a turret press unless your are going to use it as a turret press for increased production. If you don't then it becomes an expensive die storage unit.

I have a Redding T7 Turret on my bench and use it for neck expanding, priming and powder dropping. I FL or neck size on a Redding Ultramag and boolit seat on a Forster Co-Ax, both single station presses.

If you are going for a first press then get a good single station press, such as the Lee classic cast, Lyman crusher, Redding boss, RCBS Rockchucker, Hornady L n L all fine presses. The will easily do 50 rounds an hour with the other kit, you will be intimate with every stage of the process therefore able to maintain high quality control.

The Lee Classic cast turret is a fine press but like I've said it really comes into its own when used to up production to say 100-150 rounds per hour and will handle rifle, it also has auto indexing so works like a progressive.

I have two progressives for bulk reloading, a RCBS Ammomaster and a Hornady L n L AP as if I want speed then I'll go past the Turrets. However they only come into their own after I've done the load development and settled on a recipe and for doing that I use a single station.

The earlier lee turrets both the 3 and 4 holers are not really suitable for rifle calibres and are mere shadows of the Classic cast.

If you are keen on reloading the start with a good single station press. Once you cranked out 10,000 rounds or so then you'll have enough experience to know your self what you want.

Single station is KISS. :cool:
ImageImage
DuncaninFrance

Postby DuncaninFrance » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:15 pm

Thanks very much for your input guys, appreciate it :)
Duncan

Fat Albert

Re: Turret Presses

Postby Fat Albert » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:04 pm

You will have no problem with the Lee 4die Classic press. I don't have mine set up as a progressive. You put 4 dies in the plate (sizer-beller-seater-crimp) one time time and then have a different plate for each cartrige. No changing each die just rotate the plate. Unless you are loading something like a 50 BMG it has all the power you need. Most people that put them down have neaver tried them. I consider the Rockchucker an over priced ego trip that is only need by about 2% of loaders. I have a cast iron CH "O" press that I bought 47yrs ago for $30 and it will do anything that a RC can do. I have a little Lee alum. "C" press($18 when bought) that I only use with a depriming die as I deprim and clean befor I size.
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Postby dromia » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:58 pm

"I consider the Rockchucker an over priced ego trip"

??????
ImageImage
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:48 pm

I have owned most Lee press range at one time or another before I bought my Lyman orange crusher. I have got rid of the Lee stuff the orange crusher is the only press I use now. I would not swop it for any other press.
But that dosnt mean to say Lee stuff wont do the job. Oh I just remembered I own one of the small Lee hand operated press,s I use it to de prime and re size 38 special while Im watching telly.
ian27
Sustaining Member

Postby ian27 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:25 pm

Duncan, I use an RCBS Rockchucker for reloading .303, .308 and 30-06. Would you believe I also use it to reload .38 S&W, .38 Special, 44 magnum, .40S&W, 45 Long Colt and .455 Webley. I'm not reloading vast quantities of rounds of each calibre, and once you get started you're not long in reloading 50 rds. If I was wanting to reload 3 or 4 hundred of a certain calibre at a time, I would probably go for something different, just depends on the volume of ammo you want to turn out.
Ian

FILL YOUR HANDS YOU SON OF A BITCH !!!
(Marshall Rooster Cogburn)
biganimal
Contributing Member

Postby biganimal » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:03 pm

hey brassrat
go to graf&son for the lee press they have it in stock and shipping is only $5
WILDCATT

Postby WILDCATT » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:56 pm

I think the lee clasic cast turret is the best for what it does.you can use it as auto advance or single stage.and keep the dies set up.in my case I have a powder measure for that cartridge on the turret permenent.I have about 25 cartridges I load.have an order about ready to go.
biganimal
Contributing Member

Postby biganimal » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:40 pm

wildcat
do you load for sale or for your own use?
just curious
scrmblerkari

Postby scrmblerkari » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:01 pm

I am a totally brand-new member of this forum, and this is my first post. Here's my .02 regarding turret presses. I have two - a little Lyman which is not very strong, but set up for .22 Hornet it works fine. I also have a Redding T7 with two turrets that is set up for all my regular reloading needs - 6.5x55, 7.5 Swiss, 7.62x54 Russian, and .303 British, with space for crimping and collet resizing dies. It is plenty strong enough for full-length resizing. There are two RCBS single stage presses on the bench, which are used for infrequently reloaded calibers like 8x56R or one-time operations like pulling bullets. I shoot two or three hundred rounds at a range day, several hundred rounds a month, and I must say that the Redding turret press has made it easier to keep up. For this reason I prefer it over the single-stage presses, although they are perfectly satisfactory in all other respects and the best way to start reloading.
Scrmblerkari (California)
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi scrmblerkari welcome to the forum.
Some intresting calibers there you will have to share a few recipes my freind.
scrmblerkari

Postby scrmblerkari » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:43 pm

dhtaxi wrote:Hi scrmblerkari welcome to the forum.
Some intresting calibers there you will have to share a few recipes my freind.

Thanks, dhtaxi! I am always messing around with different loads. Once I get my feet under me and become more familiar with this forum I would enjoy swapping info with others. For me the reloading part is almost as satisfying as the shooting part, especially when it works!
scrmblerkari
DuncaninFrance

Postby DuncaninFrance » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:54 am

welcome to the funnyfarm Scrmblerkari :bigsmile: Just jump in, we are a laid back lotbhere!!
Duncan

joseyclosey

Postby joseyclosey » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Hi Sk, welcome to MAH, don't be shy and just pitch in, we always enjoy input from new members here.

Joe
WyrTwister

Re:

Postby WyrTwister » Sun May 16, 2010 7:17 pm

Brass Rat wrote:I am ordering a Lee classic turret press as soon as midwayusa has them back in stock.

I will continue to FL size on my single stage Lee cast press. I am primarily interested in using the turret press for seating and crimping when loading rifle rounds.

When loading .30 carbine it was a pain to set up the seating die just right and then have to re adjust it again to put a taper crimp on.

I will be able to put the Hornady sizer, expander, seater and Lee factory crimp die on the turret.

I am running the Lee cast iron turret press . I really like it

But , I suspect all turret presses are best for straight wall calibers , where you can use carbide sizing dies ( mostly hand guns ) .

I can get the turrets for $ 9.00 each . I am slowly srtting the calibers I commonly load up in their own turrets .

God bless
Wyr
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Postby dromia » Mon May 17, 2010 1:46 am

Welcome aboard Wyr. :D
ImageImage
DuncaninFrance

Postby DuncaninFrance » Mon May 17, 2010 3:03 am

Hello Wyr, welcome to the funny farm - get involved, if's free and doesn't hurt a bit :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:
Duncan

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Wed May 19, 2010 8:37 am

dromia wrote:Welcome aboard Wyr. :D

Thanks .

I find that I can load .223 on the turret press , " non-stop " by using the Lee collet sizing die ( no lube required ) and Hornady FMJBT bullets . If the brass does not require trimming or reaming military crimped primer pockets .

Other wise , I have to do brass prep first .

In that case I will use the universal de-priming die and the Lee hand press , while sitting in the recliner , watching Satellite TV . :-)

Then I move to the loading room to trim and / or ream the brass .

I have no problem loading .30-06 , 7.62 NATO , .30-30 or .45-70 on the Lee cast iron turret press . It is plenty strong .

And no challenge for .30 Carbine or my hand gun calibers with carbide sizing dies . I am lazy and really appreciate not having to lube the brass & remove the lube when finished .

God bless
Wyr
Brass Rat

Postby Brass Rat » Sun May 23, 2010 5:44 pm

The only round that I use the Lee classic turret to it's full potential with currently is .30 Carbine. Even then I tend to dump each charge onto the electronic scale. I have noticed that if the auto disk gets bumped the H110 tends to pack down and it will throw an extra 3-4 tenths of a grain which is alot when I am loading full power 15gn loads.

I really need to start loading .45acp and even a half of a grain will not make any real differance when shooting steel plates at 11 yards.

It has taken a couple of years to accept that all that extra sorting of bullets and cases and keeping charges to plus or minus .1 gn makes pretty much zero differance in an "as issued" service rifle match at 200 yards. My scores are the same with HXP surplus or my 168 SMK handloads.
Retired Systems Engineer
Full time Grandpa to

Jacob 16 Months
Taylor 18
Rolling45-70

Postby Rolling45-70 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:46 am

the Lee 4 Hole Turret Press was the best buy i ever made ,,,

i load since 2 years .38spec,45 acp,44-40 Win,45-70, 6,5x55,.303.8x57 and finaly 7,5x55

never any part to claim

i did not arrived the speed of loading cases like a Dillon 650 or similar Presses but they are in no way so universal lile the Lee TRP to use it as single state press or sizing die press .

i vote for this tool

Klaus :bigsmile:

Return to “Handloading, Reloading, Ammuntion”