6.5x55 factory loads info required

This is where to ask questions and offer experiences about the art and science of ammunition building. Also observations about any acquired ammo.

Moderators: Brass Rat, dhtaxi

dhtaxi

6.5x55 factory loads info required

Postby dhtaxi » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi guys I need some help I need cartridge overall length measurements of factory ammo in 6.5x55 for 120grain, 139grain and 140grain bullets please. can any body help.
I asked the question on a UK shooters forum but it looks like nobody in the UK shoots 6.5x55 except for one guy that answered. Strange considering the forum is full of dealers you would of thought that at least one of them would have had a box of 6.5x55 on the shelf.
joseyclosey

Re: 6.5x55 factory loads info required

Postby joseyclosey » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Just useing cast in my newly acquired M96 Dave. Sorry can't help.

Joe
PeterN2

Postby PeterN2 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 pm

I have a few FNM 143 grain FMJ factory cartidges and they measure 3.064 from the base to the bullet tip. I would expect the length to vary slightly between different manufactures and bullets, as bullets of the same weight are likely to vary in length slightly depending on design and how deep they are seated. Personally, I go by what the reloading manual says regarding over all length for the load I am using. The 46th edition Lyman manual gives a maximum over all length for 6.5x55 of 3.062 so the FNM are about there.
I am not a good enough shot to worry about seating bullets to the nearest thousands of an inch to shoot through a 95 year old barrel using the issue iron sights with sixty plus year old eyes. If it is a safe load and produces reasonable accuracy, it will do for me. I use a 139/140 grain bullet pushed out of the barrel by 44 to 45 grains of Reloader 19. I usually seat the bullet so I have length of 3 inches or just over. That works for me, but check your reloading manual and use published data. I managed to come in second place in the Classic Service Rifle mad minute at the Trafalgar Meeting this year using this load. Getting shots off quickly and well aimed counts for more in that game than wether your bullet is seated a thou too shallow or too deep.
Regards
Peter.
joseyclosey

Postby joseyclosey » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Dave, if it helps the original M94 156g skarp patron was 80mm and the later spitzer, 139g M94 projektil M41 round measured 78mm.

Joe
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:42 pm

My problem is I have recently purchased a rifle in 6.5x55 its a TIKKA m55 action fitted with a shilen match barrel. I am having a twat of a job building a round for it. It will not chamber factory rounds they jam in the chamber. I am trying to work it out but unless I go out and buy boxes of each manufactures ammo and measure them my self which will cost me a arm and a leg I thought the natural thing to do would ask on a shooters forum for peoples help.
Up to now I have had no replies on the UK forum except for one guy which was helpful then another clown who's English was so bad I have no idea what he is talking about.
Thanks for the replies but what I need is cartridge overall length measurements of factory rounds. I have shelves full of books with reloading data.
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:07 pm

That's the one cartridge I don't have. Wonder how I missed that caliber? Did find this string that mentions some overall lengths. See if any of this conversation gives you any ideas.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 96514.html
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:35 am

Ok I think I have a starting point but my loads are all shorter than the cartridge over all length people are quoting. I am wondering if it has been built with a tight chamber. Milsurps are a lot less chew to reload for it better be worth the effort when I actually get it shooting. :(
PeterN2

Postby PeterN2 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:51 am

If it is a standard 6.5x55 chamber, it should take any standard factory round from any manufacturer. So, if factory rounds won't chamber, it is not a standard chamber. What does the proof mark stamp say the cartridge is? You should take a chamber cast, but I seem to remember you had a unhappy experience last time you tried.
Regards
Peter.
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:14 pm

You didn't get that rifle from France did you? Ask Duncan about how the French require changes in military calibers to keep the local population from having military guns in their original caliber. It frightens them in some way if old rifles aren't modified. His Enfield is no longer .303 but has been reconfigured to some round that has an overall shorter COL.
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Right I have done some research taken lots of measurements built more dummy rounds than you can shake a stick at.
The results are in.
In my opinion and until I can purchase some it remains to be seen this rifle will not chamber a factory round. A guy on another forum measured some PPU factory ammo and the average length was 2.972.
Peter has stated that FMJ came out at 3.064
I loaded up 20 blank rounds of Hornady 120grain A max bullets I started long and kept on seating in small increments until the round would chamber with out jamming and needing a rubber mallet to open the bolt.
The maximum over all length it will chamber is 2.859 with out jamming in the rifling.
I did the same with some sellier and belliot 140grain bullets the maximum length it will chamber with out jamming is 2.915.
I wondered why the A max was shorter because its a sharper pointed bullet the reason turned out to be the bullet diameter.
The A max is .263 wich is correct for the calibre. The sellior and belliot is .2610 wich is a tad small for a 6.5x55.
So either the rifle has a tight chamber or it has not been built to sammi regulations. I need to get my hands on some factory ammo and check it out.
PeterN2

Postby PeterN2 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:24 pm

I presume your cases are trimmed to the correct length? Do the empty cases chamber freely without a bullet seated?
Regards
Peter.
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:53 pm

Peter you would not believe the lengths I have gone to trying to sort this out.
All cases were tumble cleaned.
Batched cases my manufacturer.
Resized all the cases using Redding full length die.
Cut all the primer pockets using a Le Wilson primer pocket cutter.
Trimmed all cases to length using a Le Wilson trimmer.
Chambered every case individually in the rifle to make sure they cycled.
Cycled some untrimmed cases they jammed in the action.
Then moved on to seating bullets as my previous thread describes.
In all my years of reloading I have never had such a chew on reloading for a 6.5x55 rifle.
But then they have all been milsurps. If this is what custom rifles are about then no thank you.

Oh and just a observation the A max rounds chamber now but the bullit is seated so deep in the case I would be very wary about shooting them. God knows what it has done to the pressure. But maybe I have got it wrong I might be totally wrong in my approach may be bench rest or F class guys do this every day.

What I do know is that at this moment in time I would happily swop this rifle with its match barrel for the P14 I recently sold or a good Swedish Mauser or even a Nagant long rifle.
NuJudge
Contributing Member

Postby NuJudge » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:13 am

It sounds like your chamber is cut to absolute minimum dimensions, with no allowance for case length growth on firing, and you have no throat. A gunsmith should be able to assist you with both of these problems.

There are lots of chamber drawings around the Internet.
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:05 pm

I emailed shilen barrels their reply was as much use as tits on a fish.
I am going to see if I can find a gun dealers open to morrow that stocks 6.55x55 ammo and buy some. I can not believe no body shoots 6.5x55 factory ammo.
I have asked on four forums for guys to measure their factory ammo for me with no meaningful results. What the fook.
Once I have tried the factory ammo I will be going back to the guy who sold me the rifle. Its a shame because its a really nice rifle and I would really like to get it to work even if it meant spending money on it. I can not even find a gunsmith any were in the North East of England were I live to advise me. What a pisser. :evil:
AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
NuJudge
Contributing Member

What dimensions do you want measured?

Postby NuJudge » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:11 pm

I have some Remington and Norma manufactured Swedish military ammo downstairs.
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:47 am

I have some Remington and Norma manufactured Swedish military ammo downstairs.

Could you measure the cartridge overall lengths and post them please.
NuJudge
Contributing Member

Overall lengths for 6.5x55

Postby NuJudge » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Norma-produced 6.5x55 loaded in brass made in 1975 with the 140gr pointed bullet: 3.058" OAL

Remington Express-Core-Lokt 140gr commercial, bought about two years ago: 2.900"

If you need any other measurements, just ask.
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Thank you very much. Much appreciated. This rifle is proving much more of challenge than any milsurp I have ever owned.
NuJudge
Contributing Member

Was this chambered for a dual diameter bullet?

Postby NuJudge » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:50 pm

I have heard of some cartridges being loaded with bullets that, up to the cannelure, are groove diameter, and forward of that being of a diameter that is land diameter, tapering to a point. I have a 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenaur which I had rebarreled some years ago. When it first came back from the gunsmith, it had been chambered in such a fashion, with essentially no Leade. I had to have another gunsmith ream out the area just forward of the chamber, or it would not chamber those magnificent inch and quarter long 160gr 6.5mm bullets the Mannlicher-Schoenaur is known for.
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:36 pm

I am slowly getting there the rifle will not function with shop bought ammo but I am getting a better understanding of how its been built I believe I can make ammo for it that will work.
I think one of the reasons I have struggled is because I have never had a custom built rifle before its a whole new ball park. but I am getting there. I need a range to shoot it on that would help.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby DuncaninFrance » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:56 am

There you go Dave
sr-rd-outdoor-range.jpg
sr-rd-outdoor-range.jpg (37.27 KiB) Viewed 8180 times

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
AJP

Postby AJP » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Perhaps the problem of chambering is related to action length - Tikka did not "factory" chamber the M55 action in 6.5x55 - instead they employed the longer M65 action for the 6.5x55 SM cartridge. Is it possible that the new barrel is actually chambered in .260Rem?
This would be a cartridge that has dimensions more suited to the M55 action and magazine .. and would employ the same barrel bore.. although obviously a different chamber size. The 260 Rem is almost identical in performance to a 6.5x55 fwiw.

best
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:08 am

Welcome to the site AJP. Thanks for offering a suggestion that makes sense to me. Although I have no idea what the problem is actually. :loco:
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:49 am

Welcome to the site AJP yes .260 is a possibility I am going to see if I can get hold of some .260 cases and see how they fit the rifle. I don't think it is chambered for .260 because the barrel is stamped with 6.5x5swd. I could get it re chambered in .260 that would solve the problem. I need to shoot it now to see how it performs with my re loads before I do any thing else.
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Mon May 26, 2014 2:17 pm

I have been shooting the rifle for a while now and I can report that its now sorted.
I contacted the previous owner through the dealer I bought it off. he sent me a batch of dummy cases made up with different manufacturers bullets and set to the correct seating depth to chamber in the rifle with the load data for each round. he also included some notes about the rifle.
The rifle is built on a short action and that's why its a reloading jobby only its also got a very tight chamber. But now that I have got it sorted I can report that the rifle is incredibly accurate.
I took it to a range on Saturday just to confirm that the re loads would chamber from the magazine. Unfortunately it was only a 25 meter range. The first group of 5 shots was about 1/2". the second group four rounds went through the same hole the fifth shot just clipped the outside of the hole made by the four previous shots. I put the rifle away after this I could not believe what I had seen.
I have also shot it at 350 yards at a 8" round metal plate. I got into trouble for destroying the gong before any body else had chance to shoot a it.

Return to “Handloading, Reloading, Ammuntion”