Cutting a mould

This is where to ask questions and offer experiences about the art and science of ammunition building. Also observations about any acquired ammo.

Moderators: Brass Rat, dhtaxi

dhtaxi

Cutting a mould

Postby dhtaxi » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:25 pm

I'm going to have a go at cutting a aluminium mould. Any one done this before any advice would be good before I start.
Iv tried in vain to purchase boolits of the right type size and weight. I can not get my hands on a mould with out waiting for months. So I'm going to have a go it might be a total disaster but what the heck its some thing to do on these cold winter evenings. The blocks will be cut for me and the mating surfaces finished off. So all I have to do is cut the mould. Im getting tooling together at the moment Iv watched all the youtube stuff. I'm not in any hurry so any advice pointers would be good.
Aughnanure

Re: Cutting a mould

Postby Aughnanure » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:00 pm

The only advice that I can offer is to make 110% sure that you are boring on centre and do without lube grooves if you can.

If you want to make un-grooved bullets then make a solid mould with the pointed end formed in a piston which pushes the bullet out.
This type of mould requires a super smooth finish, as you'd well imagine.

Have a good time :D
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
joseyclosey

Postby joseyclosey » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:00 am

Good luck with that one Dave.
Joe
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:14 pm

I collected together a load of tooling and stuff. I went out into my work shop to make a start. The first thing I did was drag out a bucket load of wheel weights and range lead ingots and filled my lead pot. Switched it on then changed the three jaw chuck on my lathe to a four jaw. I then checked on the lead pot removed the metal clips of the top of the lead and the dross. I thought what the hell so I cast a few bullets. The rest of the day turned into a bullet casting session I have not had so much fun in ages. I dragged all my moulds out and just went for it. I have got lead bullets every were in all shapes and sizes. Unfortunately none of them are the right size for the rifle I am trying to develop a cast load for. I have bought into two group buys at NOE but I'm not sure that I have not wasted my money I don't understand the terminology they use. I thought I was buying a normal mould until some one pointed out its a tumble lube I wish people would just write what the darn thing is instead of its a TL the CG and the CP are closer together on the PB. what the f---k does that mean.
I don't think Ill be buying any more. And they get up tight when you ask them what the fook they are talking about.

Could be a couple of cheap moulds going here guys.
Aughnanure

Postby Aughnanure » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:55 pm

What rifle is it, someone may know of a suitable mould?
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
joseyclosey

Postby joseyclosey » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:08 am

Nothing wrong with the TL CB as long as you keep the fps low enough in your AIA. :mrgreen:

Which moulds did you get btw ?

Joe :D
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:54 am

Ignore me I'm just having a rant Joe. I haven't got them yet Joe I'm waiting for one to arrive and the other one is a current group buy this one is supposed to be right for the 7.62x39 I'm going to buy some expanders I don't know wether to pay the postage to the UK or send them to Florida for bringing back to the UK for free but I'll have to wait until July to get my hands on them if I do that. How much do they charge you for postage to the UK Joe.
joseyclosey

Postby joseyclosey » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:04 pm

Dave my last order for one 2 cavity mould and 2,000 gas checks cost $24.75 postage. About £16 quids which I thought reasonable, and the package was in my hand within about a week. I wouldn't buy custom moulds anywhere else to be honest .

Joe
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Well it took about ten days for the package to arrive. I haven't had time to unpack it yet. I bought a mould some custom expanders so I could see how they make them. I also bought some case length chamber buttons they look like a doddle to make.
I'm into another couple of moulds and I can see some other stuff on the site Id like to acquire. Ill probably buy the moulds I'm into then make up a package to send to Florida in the Summer that will come back to the UK for free.
The mould cutting thing is on going I screwed one effort up. I'm cutting and grinding tooling at the moment but work keeps getting in the way of progress.
I reckon I can do it. But we will see. Iv got lots of shiny blocks of aluminium for the moulds they came out very well. Shiny shiny.
I'm sort of enjoying the cast thing my only gripe is the sights It does my head in trying to work out the settings for cast. Iv got a couple of rifles I think I might scope up for the cast boolits.

Return to “Handloading, Reloading, Ammuntion”