H&I sizing dies

This is where to ask questions and offer experiences about the art and science of ammunition building. Also observations about any acquired ammo.

Moderators: Brass Rat, dhtaxi

dhtaxi

H&I sizing dies

Postby dhtaxi » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:05 pm

The Lyman sizing dies are not cheap now a days and finding them in the UK can be a chore. I have bought some new moulds from NOE in the states so I needed some sizing dies for my luberesizer so I made some. They turned out OK all though there is quite a bit of work involved and a financial outlay for material reamers etc for the initial set up. I did toy with the idea of making them to order but I don't have the spare time to make it worth while. But it was interesting I enjoyed the experience. I will probably make more for my own use.
Oh yeah the sizes I nearly forgot.

So I now have
.314 for this calibre.

I have several other ones for different calibres and now I know what I'm doing Ill add to them as and when the need arises.

No I have not forgot. Your annealing cup is next up Duncan.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: H&I sizing dies

Postby DuncaninFrance » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:45 am

OK Dave, no problems mate!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:56 pm

The die on the left is a Lyman H&I .312 die the one on the right is one I made in .314. I enjoyed this little exercise. like I said earlier I will probably make more for my own use. If I had the time Id take orders for them. Maybe one day. I have used the die to size 150 boolits they all came out at exactly .314.
2015-03-25 00.41.53.jpg
joseyclosey

Postby joseyclosey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:48 am

Nice work Dave.
dhtaxi

Postby dhtaxi » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Thanks Joe.
I have just returned from another session in my little machine shop. I'm a big fan of LeWilson sizing and seating dies. What I like about them is you use an arbor press so you can sit at your computer desk and surf the net while sizing and seating. LeWilson are usually used to neck size with a bushing die then a dead length seating die is used to seat the bullet. One of the problems I have encountered with cast boolits is when you come up against a boolit that is needed that's oversize normal dies in a bench mounted press are a pain in the butt. I have machined seating dies to suit the boolit size for example the 7.62x39 I have just been playing with in .314 the one I had to make the H&I die for. I made a LeWilson type die to seat the boolits its a doddle to use I just sit at my puter desk and leisurely churn out ammo with out any effort at all.
I just wish I had the time to make more of the stuff.

Ill post pictures to morrow.

Return to “Handloading, Reloading, Ammuntion”