Soldier, Sailor, and Marine pocket knife

Things a soldier would carry other than firearms, ammo, or uniforms. Meaning equipment such as ammo pouches, bayonets, holsters, oil cans, cleaning equipment, etc.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Niner
Site Admin

Soldier, Sailor, and Marine pocket knife

Post by Niner » Fri May 27, 2016 8:15 pm

Towards the end of WWII the government was looking for a handy military pocket knife. They wanted something that would cut, open cans, open bottles, act as a screw driver, and be able to punch a hole in a belt for an extra buckle adjustment. They wanted something like a Swiss Army knife that had to be nearly indestructible.

Camillus came up with a stainless steel prototype that became the knife of choice. It was in production from about the end of WWII until the end of the 20th Century. And... if anybody was ever issued one when I was in the Army I've yet to meet him.

Each knife was marked by the Camillus brand and the year of manufacture at the base of the cutting blade. The design of the knife remained from first to last with the exception of an opening assist on the screwdriver and bottle opener was done away with sometime in the late 70's. You can find boy scout knives that are made on the same general pattern probably still made today.

I got this one pictured along with two more that needed some work for $8 plus shipping costs off of ebay.
Attachments
hand.jpg
US open.jpg
other side.jpg
thumb assist.jpg
can opener.jpg
Camillus 1991.jpg