greatest army invention

Things a soldier would carry other than firearms, ammo, or uniforms. Meaning equipment such as ammo pouches, bayonets, holsters, oil cans, cleaning equipment, etc.

Moderator: joseyclosey

stripperclip
Leading Member

greatest army invention

Post by stripperclip » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:43 pm

this is a P38 can opener still in the package from the 70's beside opening c-rat cans it could be used for other things I have one somewhere that I carried for years on my dog tags and key chain but it has been missplaced since our last move when I find it I will post a pic of it because this one I'll keep in the wrapper as is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/s ... ip/p38.jpg[/pic]
stripperclip
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:35 pm

I have about 5 of them around. One in my camera bag, one in my shooting kit and the others at strategic points in the house. Great bit of kit.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:47 pm

I have a 1965 dated British version on my key ring - It's outlasted Lord knows how many 'butterfly' can spanners.

Tom
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
riptidenj
Contributing Member

Post by riptidenj » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:32 pm

In my day (U.S. Army 1967-1971) we carried them on our dog tag chains. Weren't supposed to of course.
Niner
Site Admin

P38

Post by Niner » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:30 am

riptidenj, think I carried mine around on the dog tag chain as well. You had to be careful how you put it on though. You needed to put the folded blade edge against the tag and not against your chest when you added it to the chain.

I'm attaching one from 1970. Note the hole for the chain to go through and the maker...if anyone is interested.
Attachments
Maker.jpg
opener.jpg
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:30 am

Mine, long misplaced, were acquired in 1954. I had the US C-ration one (my favourite) and a longer British version.

I'd rank them among the all time great inventions.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.