New toys

Things a soldier would carry other than firearms, ammo, or uniforms. Meaning equipment such as ammo pouches, bayonets, holsters, oil cans, cleaning equipment, etc.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

New toys

Post by Woftam » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:54 am

Picked up a couple of new toys.
First up, not the best example of British manufacturing, but I suppose it got the job done. The MkIII bayonet for the No4. This was described as a good example so I'd hate to see a bad example. Manufacturers marking in indistinct but I think its M/158 - J. Lucas Ltd.
Next one is the MkI for the No4. A much better example of British manufacturing. Can't quite understand the dimple behind the spike. Something to do with the manufacturing process ? Just leaves me the MkII* to find for the complete set. Unless I want to go down the one from every manufacturer road.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
A square 10
Leading Member

Re: New toys

Post by A square 10 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:29 pm

very nice , both , your mkIII is typical of those ive seen over the years , these were indeed a crude piece of work :SCO:
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:15 am

I only have one No. 4 bayonet and i must admit they are not my favourite bayonet. Mine is a post war, Canadian Arsenal Mk II and it came in a '44 stamped Mk I scabbard.

Joe

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:31 pm

I've got one that is marked No. 4MKII. I have had it a while and don't remember when I got it. It comes in a plastic scabbard with what looks like a drain hole at the bottom of it. There is a 5 stamped into the part that springs forward to connect to a rifle. There is also either a B or an 8 marked on under where it is stamped No 4 MKII.
Attachments
5.jpg
No4mkII.jpg
nomarks.jpg
point.jpg
tube.jpg
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:36 pm

On second thought......could that 5 actually be an S for Savage? Took a photo with Savage rifle and the bayonet with the "5".
Attachments
idea.jpg
A square 10
Leading Member

Post by A square 10 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:28 pm

that is most definetly a savage "S" , they 'boxed' their "S" , it was a trademark :bigsmile: :SCO:
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:02 pm

My pig-sticker is a No. 4 MkII in a No. 4 MkI scabbard or so it would appear. There is a feint letter 'B' above the Nº 4 MK II stamping on the bayonet.

Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
A square 10
Leading Member

Post by A square 10 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:29 pm

i believe that "B" is actualy a poorly struck "LB" for longbranch , they superimposed the two letters together in the same manner that 'Enfeild' ran their "ED" over each other , very nice pointy bits you all have ,

you are inspireing me to get mine all out and shoot the markings with closeups ......... :SCO:
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:44 pm

Interesting. I got that LB run-together mark on the bayonet I posted above. The same bayonet with the S for Savage. What does this mean? Maybe moved from one arsenal inventory to the other?
Attachments
IMGP3753.jpg
IMGP3754.jpg
A square 10
Leading Member

Post by A square 10 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:44 pm

i believe you have a longbranch bayonet [LB] with a savage lock [S] , somewhere along the way the parts got changed :SCO:

likewise i have a poole marked no9 mkI bayo that was also marked by [ED] enfield , most likely at a refurb ,

my no4 mkI is marked [SMC] and also N67

my mkII is a [S] savage / and i have a mkII [LB] longbranch with my entrenching set

my mkII* is a [H&B] howard & bullough marked N30

and my mkIII is a joseph lucus ltd marked M158

and my no7 mkI/L is a poole marked "P" in a circle

i like to collect the diferent scabords as well , im still looking for a black scaled no7 bayo and the second version of the victory plastics scabord - but im not looking very hard :bigsmile:

i keep my savage with the M5 US made victory plastics scabord -

and i keep the longbrabch attached to the entrenching tool -