FRENCH WWI WATERBOTTLE / CANTEEN

Things a soldier would carry other than firearms, ammo, or uniforms. Meaning equipment such as ammo pouches, bayonets, holsters, oil cans, cleaning equipment, etc.

Moderator: joseyclosey

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

FRENCH WWI WATERBOTTLE / CANTEEN

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun May 16, 2010 3:25 am

While clearing out his late mother in law's house and barns last week prior to selling it, a friend of mine came across what he thinks is a French WWI water bottle or canteen. It's in poor condition having been 'lost' in an old barn there but I will post some pics later. Meantime, are there any marks I should try and find that would tell me anything about it? Patrick!!?
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
joseyclosey

Re: FRENCH WWI WATERBOTTLE / CANTEEN

Post by joseyclosey » Sun May 16, 2010 11:10 am

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun May 16, 2010 12:53 pm

The name scratched on the top of the canteen is MAYNARD which is name of the family who lived at the farm. It was the maiden name of my friends wife.
I understand that they also found a photograph of 2 people dressed in uniform so I have asked if I can look at it and maybe copy it. Might discover the Regiment and some dates from it.

Not as good condition as yours Jo but maybe some real history to it. Keep watching................... :)
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun May 16, 2010 1:03 pm

Interesting stuff Duncan, could you ask permission to share the family photo?

Joe
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun May 16, 2010 1:35 pm

joseyclosey wrote:Interesting stuff Duncan, could you ask permission to share the family photo?

Joe
I have, just waiting for the answer.
As a general observation to all it is worth noting that if you copy an image with a digital camera you can often discover things in the original image that cannot be seen with the naked eye by processing the file in good photo software. :lol: :lol:
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu May 20, 2010 5:51 am

Bit more news. The bottle did belong to her Grandfather who fought in the Great War but she is pretty sure that neither of the 2 soldiers in the photograph are him. Because of this it is possible that her husband, who has been clearing the house, has put the photo in the rubbish. Madam Thibaud is currently not amused :(
Duncan

1886lebel
Sustaining Member

Post by 1886lebel » Thu May 20, 2010 10:56 am

Sorry to reply so late ....
This is the Modèle 1877 Bidon which came in two sizes, 1 litre and 2 litre. The 1 litre type was issued to Metropolitan Troops stationed in France and a double-sized 2-litre canteen was originally reserved for issue to troops in Africa and other colonies, but the difficulty of supplying clean water to men in close combat on the Western Front was considerable and it prompted the introduction of the double-sized water bottle to all troops in the summer of 1915.
The original wool cloth covering was a dark blue and when they went to horizon blue in 1915, this became the normal covering for them, colonial troops had thier covered in a khaki wool cloth. Both types had a large and small size spout that were stopped with either wood or cork which was secured to the canteen itself with string.
The cup on the canteens Joe posted was called the Quart Réglementaire (regulation cup). The Quart is used for drinking the issued pinard (wine), they were made of tin and usually hung from the cork-string of one of the double spouts on the bidon.
You have found a neat piece of history.
Patrick
Vive la République Française, le Lebel et le poilu
Verdun 1916: "Ils ne Passeront pas" "On les aura!"
Fusil d'Infanterie Modèle 1886 Modifié 1893 dit "Lebel"

Vive le Pinard !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfM1sFqIK0
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:31 am

I have now finished working on the photos which were in poor condition having been left in a barn for about 50 years!

The man on the left is my friends wife's Grandfather ( owner of the canteen) and the one on the right is his brother. Both survived the war.

ORIGINALS.

REPAIRED.

Patrick. Any ideas about units or the medal the Great Uncle is wearing?
Duncan

1886lebel
Sustaining Member

Post by 1886lebel » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:42 pm

The man on the left was with the 50ème Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne which was stationed/mobilized at Périgueux located in the Dordogne Department in Aquitaine Region.
This unit fought in the following battles during the war
1914: From 21 to 23 August at Saint Médart, Florenville and Névraumont; and Matton on the 24th of August. They were part of the retreat of the 3rd and 4th Armies fighting at Blagny, Mount Tilleul, Hill 235, Carignan from the 25th to 28th of August. They also participated in the Combats of Yoncq from 28th August till retreating back to the Marne in September of that year going through ... Oches, Verrières, Châtillon, Saint Denis, Vouziers, Somme-Py and Aulnay. They fought in the Battle of the Marne from 7 to 13th September at Humbauville, Galbodine, Togny, Coulmier and Maigneux. They also fought at Aubérive from the 19th to 30th of September. They then were transferred to the Champagne front in October of this year to the 15th of February of 1915 fighting at Prosne, the Woods of the Patron puis Baconnes.
1915: They participated in the Champagne Offensives of this year at Baconnes in March; Operations in the Woëvre region in April of that year at following locations: Remenauville, Regniéville, Fey-en-Haye. They they went to Artois and fought at Thélus, Neuville-Saint-Vaast from July to October and returned in December.
1916: They started the year in Artois till April at Neuville-Saint-Vaast then got transferred to The Battle of Verdun in April to June where they fought at Marre and Charny. They then transferred to Aisne in July fighting at Oulches till September and went to the Somme Offensive fighting at Barleux.
1917: The fought in the Somme at Barleux in February, moved back to Champagne in March fighting at La Courtine, Maison de Champagne. In late March and April they fought at Forestière, Tahure in May and June and back to Forestière from July to September. They were then transferred to Italy in November.
1918: They fought on the Italian Front at Sommacampagna and Malo in January, Asiago in March and April, Meltar and Prunno in June to September and finally the Offensive on the Piave from 31 October till the end of the war in November of that year.
This Regiment earned 2 Citations of the Army (1915 and 1918) earning them the Colors of the Fourragère of the Croix de Guerre.

The other gentleman is harder to place as he seems to be an Officer and will be hard to tell what unit (1st) he was with, Infantry, Artillery, Engineer, etc.
The medal he is wearing is the Croix de Guerre and also wears the Colors of the Fourragère of the Croix de Guerre on his left shoulder.

You did an excellent restoration of these pictures BTW. These pictures to me are priceless as you get to know who these men were that fought in that war and what they looked like.
Patrick
Vive la République Française, le Lebel et le poilu
Verdun 1916: "Ils ne Passeront pas" "On les aura!"
Fusil d'Infanterie Modèle 1886 Modifié 1893 dit "Lebel"

Vive le Pinard !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfM1sFqIK0
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks for the info Patrick, I will pass it on.
It is nice to be able to repair images like these and so add more interest to peoples family history. Both pictures have writing on the back of them which I am trying to improve so it can be read. Might tell more about them. If I find out any more I will post the detail.
Duncan