Kukri

Things a soldier would carry other than firearms, ammo, or uniforms. Meaning equipment such as ammo pouches, bayonets, holsters, oil cans, cleaning equipment, etc.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Kukri

Post by Woftam » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:46 am

Wife was doing a course in Sydney last week so I went along for the ride and to check out my favourite gunshop. :D
After seeing the wife to the course and dutifully promising not to buy a gun :cry: I headed for the gunshop.
After a couple of pleasant hours, the last 20 minutes of which the owner engaged in a spirited sales pitch for an item we both knew I was going to buy, I left the shop 23 ounces heavier ofset by a much lighter wallet :lol:
And this is what I walked out with -
Width at belly - 67mm (2.6 inches)
Blade Length - 341mm (13.4 inches)
Drop - 102mm (4 inches)
Length - 447mm (17.6 inches)
Handle length - 95mm (3.7 inches)
Spine width - 8mm (.31 inches)
Arc - 370mm (14.5 inches)
The story from the seller is its genuine Gurkha, a Mk II, probably early (WW1) in the production period (produced from around 1915 to 1943), the marking under the handle is Nepalese script (its a 2) and the markings on the spine are unknown (to him).
And in the spirit of "buy the gun (Kukri), not the story" I have done my own research which pretty well confirms what the seller stated. Although I've yet to see a picture of a MkII that doesn't have rivets in the handle.
Currently I'm waiting to join a Kukri forum (one has to ask politely and wait to be accepted) to doubly confirm the information.

Gratuitous new puppy "I'm so cuuute" shot, followed by a gratuitous "not in my opinion shot".
Last edited by Woftam on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forgot a picture
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Kukri

Post by Niner » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:08 am

Looks like the real thing. But where did the guy get it? There are a bunch of them on the American market that came through a joint purchase by IMA and Atlanta Cutlery. All of their relics came out of the giant buy in Nepal.

Me, being cheap but curious, got a new one that is supposed to be made by the supplier to the present day Gurka troops and to military specs. Somehow I'm not sure that wasn't sales talk.

Here are links to the US available historic knives.

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/c-100-knives.aspx

http://www.ima-usa.com/militaria.html?cat=17&p=3
Attachments
The book on the significantly large find of not well cared for weapons. Notice the name Windless. The Windless family was involved with the purchase as well as present knife making in India and also with Atlanta Cutlery.
The book on the significantly large find of not well cared for weapons. Notice the name Windless. The Windless family was involved with the purchase as well as present knife making in India and also with Atlanta Cutlery.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:02 pm

Did it come with a scabbard Graeme?

Nice pooch shots btw

Joe ;)
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:53 pm

I suspect the Kukri did come out of the 'Nepal Cache', the gunshop owner travels extensively for procurement purposes and did mention dealings with the larger American companies.
Unfortunately no scabbard Joe, so if anyone runs across a scabbard on the loose let me know.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:44 am

He's not simple is Simon :bigsmile: Known him since he was a boy.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:20 am

Yeah he's a nice bloke, always up for a yarn.
If I mention your name next time I'm down will I get a discount or get kicked out of the shop ? :bigsmile:
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:42 am

I doubt the discount. :roll:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Brass Rat
Leading Member

Post by Brass Rat » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:26 pm

Nice Puppy!!!!
Retired Systems Engineer
Full time Grandpa to

James 16
Angela 15
Khaley 5
Kendall 4
Loralai 2
stripperclip
Leading Member

Post by stripperclip » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:33 pm

good looking pup and the kukri looks nice also.
stripperclip