No4 Magazine setup

Questions and tips about taking care of the weapons we collect and shoot.

Moderator: Aughnanure

daboone

No4 Magazine setup

Post by daboone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:47 am

I believe this is my first post here but I've lurking for sometime due to my interest in British rifles.

I just got a No5 Mk1. I'm very excited as I've wanted this "Jungle Carbine" since I was a kid back in 1958. This is a true No5Mk1 ROF(F) not a reproduction.

The rifle is shooting excellent targets but there is a feeding problem. The old magazine is not allowing the follower to slide up with out sticking. I have run the magazine, disassembled, through my ultrasonic to be sure it's not an accumulation of crud causing the sticking, it's not. It appears the side of the magazine has been bent very slightly. I'm rather reticent to straighten this ding so I have ordered and "new" No4 magazine from Springfield Sporters.

I have read that replacement Lee Enfield magazines need some tweaking before they "fit and feed" properly. If this is true please point me to the instruction for accomplishing this task.

Thank you
daboone
Niner
Site Admin

Re: No4 Magazine setup

Post by Niner » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:04 pm

Welcome to the site daboone. No. 5 Jungle carbines are a favorite for many of us here. I've got two of them. And one of them sometimes doesen't feed right. The follower comes up ok and the case isn't bent, just the lips on the case still need a bit of adjustment. I think the most likely problem that may come up with a replacement magazine may be that the "lips" , for want of a better word, that act as the front bullet guides, or the "ears" for the rear case holders need a little bending for proper feeding.

By the way....does your No. 5 have the nose cap? Some do and some don't. One theory is that they were an afterthought added either late in manufacture or added sometime after initial issue. Don't know if the question has ever been resolved in any satisfactory way or not.
Attachments
DSC02339.jpg
DSC02340.jpg
daboone

Post by daboone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks for your response. No Nose cap on mine.

I will try adjusting the "ears" and see what happens.

Again thank you,
daboone
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Make sure that your mag has the auxiliary spring, if it's missing or bent then there may be feeding problems.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
daboone

Post by daboone » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Aughnanure wrote:Make sure that your mag has the auxiliary spring, if it's missing or bent then there may be feeding problems.
Thank You! The auxiliary spring on either of the magazunes. I just found and ordered 2 of these spring from APEX Gun Parts.