Cleaning the unissued Prud 44 M-48

Questions and tips about taking care of the weapons we collect and shoot.

Moderator: Aughnanure

spearedum
Leading Member

Cleaning the unissued Prud 44 M-48

Post by spearedum » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:34 am

I used orange cleaner on the cosmoed wood, but it's looking dull now. The handguard dried darker than the stock, but they were the same color before the treatment. I scraped off some caked on cosmo in the trigger/mag cutout, and the wood is clean of grease.

I have some Minwax Tung Oil Finish to apply to the wood with 0000 steel wool, so I hope I can match it to the handguard.

I'll tell you about the results later;

thanx Dante'
"We do not stop laughing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop laughing!"

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear: DRIVE FASTER!!!
I found the mirror at a wrecked race car at California (AAA) Speedway
spearedum
Leading Member

Post by spearedum » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:25 pm

I got the Pred 44 back togather again, but I traded in the Minwax for Formsby's Tung Oil that I used on other Mausers. The hand guard got darker than the rest of the stock, but after I applied more coats of Tung Oil it matches pertty closely.

The wood is still a little rought, as the wood was not sanded well from the aromor. I covered over the inked in numbers on the butt stock over the serial number;You can still read the inked in numbers through the Tung Oil.

I'm not sure if I should wax the stock, as it looks like a mil surp now. Do you wax your mil surps?

Thanx Dante'
"We do not stop laughing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop laughing!"

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear: DRIVE FASTER!!!
I found the mirror at a wrecked race car at California (AAA) Speedway
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:28 pm

My M48 is about as rough a finish as it can get, although in excellent condition according to the seller. Don't know why they didn't put a little sandpaper to the surface after the machine cut, but they didn't.... it seems like this to me, anyway.

I don't wax mine. I just hang that baby on the wall and leave it alone. The headspace seems too tight too and cases seem to stick after firing as well.
wh12725
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wh12725 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:35 am

Don't think I'd attempt to wax either. The rough stocks are a feature of these rifles and my guess would be that waxing would be difficult with the rough surface of the wood. Sounds like you've done the best the rifle can expect.
wh12725
LECS 03C1016