Buttplate discoloration

Questions and tips about taking care of the weapons we collect and shoot.

Moderator: Aughnanure

cotefenetre

Buttplate discoloration

Post by cotefenetre » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:30 am

The buttplate on my shotgun has never been flush with the stock, so I wanted to fit it (it was made in the 60's).

Before starting to fit the buttplate I preferred to clean it using some cold water, soap, and a toothbrush. To my surprise, the buttplate started to dye out after only a few strokes with the toothbrush.

After fading it looks half the way between blue andf white. On the other hand, after examining the piece I saw that its back looks like if it was made of some resin and fibers.

Consequently, I assume that buttplate has a coat of paint. Is this usual? If so, what kind of paint shall I use to refinish it? Or better yet, can I strip all the original paint off and redo it again?
wh12725
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wh12725 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:04 pm

cotefenetre - The part that is discoloring....is it a resin base? If so I'd be reluctant to suggest a remover. My stuff may do more damage to the resin then the paint.
wh12725
LECS 03C1016
cotefenetre

Post by cotefenetre » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:30 am

So I figure it's going to be better to paint it over again.

What kind of satin black paint I must shop for? How do I apply it? i.e. brush, cloth, ...

Thank you!
wh12725
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wh12725 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:26 am

I have been very happy with a product I get thru Brownells, called Aluma-Hyde II (link below). Whether you select matte, gloss, etc., is up to you, maybe stick with original. Although this stuff dries to the touch in 5-10 minutes, WARNING: it takes 5-7 days to really harden, depending on temp/humidity at time of application. Instructions will tell you this and I found out it is accurate the hard way my first time. Once cured this is the most durable stuff I've come across. I used this on a $19 Turk Mauser 4-5 years ago that a great bore but 0 blue & considerable surface rust. I cleaned the rust as best I could and coverd with matte black & it looks brand new today. Never chips or wrinkles even when I heat this old girl up with 50 rounds! Did nothing to prep the metal except clean with Windex. Is a very strong shooter as well.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... ?p=1117&s=
wh12725
LECS 03C1016