Anyone use these products?

Questions and tips about taking care of the weapons we collect and shoot.

Moderator: Aughnanure

dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone use these products?

Post by dromia » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:52 pm

Wipe out foam bore cleaner.

I got half a dozen cans of this stuff a couple of months ago and I'm seriously impressed.

Ko-Cho-Line leather treatment, the old red grease.
ImageImage
Paul Tummers

Re: Anyone use these products?

Post by Paul Tummers » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:11 am

dromia wrote:Wipe out foam bore cleaner.

I got half a dozen cans of this stuff a couple of months ago and I'm seriously impressed.

Ko-Cho-Line leather treatment, the old red grease.
I use the Forest cleaning foam for my rifle barrel cleaning,for copper fouling ist works exellent, just fill the barrel with foam, put the rifle in a cleaning cradle with the muzzle poited slightly downward for 20 minutes or so and clean with patches until these come out clean, no need to oil the barrel after cleaning, the foam preserves.

Some people use oven cleaning foam with the same results,this foam is a lot cheaper, do not know wether they have to oil the barrels afterwards.

Regards,

Paul T.
There is only one way of doing things;doing it right.
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:52 am

Welcome to Milsurp after Hours Paul. :bigsmile:

You can get wipe out for the kitchen? Wow!

Got your PM over on Cast Boolits BTW, I visit the Den Haage a couple times a year to see friends, not too far from your gaff.
ImageImage
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:38 am

Hi Paul welcome to the board.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:31 pm

Welcome to the madhouse Paul, hope you enjoy our company - we are all mad you know :lol: :lol: Interesting idea to use oven cleaner but I would have thought it was rather too corrosive?
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Paul Tummers

Post by Paul Tummers » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:06 pm

dromia wrote:Welcome to Milsurp after Hours Paul. :bigsmile:

You can get wipe out for the kitchen? Wow!

Got your PM over on Cast Boolits BTW, I visit the Den Haage a couple times a year to see friends, not too far from your gaff.
I am living in the southern part of out little country, still more than 200 km from den Haag.

I ordered a stand-alone tool for making gas-checks- there will be a lot of trouble to get gas-checks at a reasonable price here, and I will not be making that many bullets that I need a more sophisticated tool- and a top punch from Saeco to fit the bullets which come out of my mould.

Is this oven cleaning foam not available in the UK?

It is the stuff that eats the fat and burned remains from the plating inside an oven- My wife and I do not have any use for an oven- we use those very heavy French cast iron pans in the kitchen to prepare game and meat, but I will give this stuff a try- spray it on a piece of high-carbon steel to test what it does regarding corrosion, barrel steel is not high carbon steel and does not corrode as quick as HC steel.

Kind Regards, and thank all of you for having me!!

Paul.
andrew375

Post by andrew375 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:13 am

It is very good, but not the be all and end all that a lot of folks make out. It will remove a lot of crap, including some jacket fouling, but not all. My cleaning regime is bore foam to get down to the jacket fouling then sweet's 7.62 to get the copper out. Then repeat until I'm down to bare steel. When I took delivery of my Mosin it took four cleaning cycles to get down to bright steel.
Paul Tummers

Post by Paul Tummers » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:42 am

andrew375 wrote:It is very good, but not the be all and end all that a lot of folks make out. It will remove a lot of crap, including some jacket fouling, but not all. My cleaning regime is bore foam to get down to the jacket fouling then sweet's 7.62 to get the copper out. Then repeat until I'm down to bare steel. When I took delivery of my Mosin it took four cleaning cycles to get down to bright steel.
What kind of foam do you use?

The stuff I use is really good, but, I use it after every 50 rounds, don't let the stuff build up too much, after 50 round the groups begin to open.

I found out, the Hornady bullets do leave a lot more copper fouling in the barrels of my rifles than Sierra bullets, but, perhaps only in the barrels of MY rifles.In my .222Rem the 50 gn V-max is a hell of a performer, so I stick with it, and in my .308W the 180 gn SP has accounted for quite some wild boar.

I hope there is a similar stuff on the market which deals equal good with lead, because I am going to cast my training bullets in the future.

Regards,

Paul T
andrew375

Post by andrew375 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:01 am

It is Wipe out. It is good, just not as good a people think. For cast bullets just use any one of the silicon spray lubes, like WD40. A couple of squirts on the brush followed by a couple of patches is all that is needed.
Paul Tummers wrote: What kind of foam do you use?
The stuff I use is really good, but, I use it after every 50 rounds, don't let the stuff build up too much, after 50 round the groups begin to open.
I found out, the Hornady bullets do leave a lot more copper fouling in the barrels of my rifles than Sierra bullets, but, perhaps only in the barrels of MY rifles.In my .222Rem the 50 gn V-max is a hell of a performer, so I stick with it, and in my .308W the 180 gn SP has accounted for quite some wild boar.
I hope there is a similar stuff on the market which deals equal good with lead, because I am going to cast my training bullets in the future.
Regards,
Paul T
Paul Tummers

Post by Paul Tummers » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:43 am

andrew375 wrote:It is Wipe out. It is good, just not as good a people think. For cast bullets just use any one of the silicon spray lubes, like WD40. A couple of squirts on the brush followed by a couple of patches is all that is needed.
Paul Tummers wrote: What kind of foam do you use?
Regards,
Paul T
Is that really all needed to remove lead from a barrel?

Regards,

Paul.