Scuffed furniture.

Questions and tips about taking care of the weapons we collect and shoot.

Moderator: Aughnanure

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Scuffed furniture.

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:49 am

Is it a good or bad idea to try and renovate tatty or marked wooden furniture on milsurp rifles?

If the answer is 'YES' then where can I obtain some information on how to go about it so as to return the wood to a near original finish :idea:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:14 pm

The following is based on the assumption that the job is restoration as opposed to conservation.

If it's an oiled (as opposed to a varnished) stock, then I can see little harm providing you don't start sanding away material.

Dents and dings can be reduced with a domestic iron and a damp cloth,

Many stains can be removed with solvents (used in moderation*)

Many minor scuffs and marks can be reduced using plastic pot scourers and/or 0000 oil free wire wool.

The surface can then be restored with BLO (possibly with a little added pigment) worked in as appropriate.

The main points must be do do the absolute minimum (maintain the originality) and cause the minimum damage in treatment.

If you want to talk on this in detail, pm me.

Tom

p.s. If it IS a varnished stock, the techniques will be different (obviously) and, while I know of 'Traditional' finishing (Shellac/French polish), more modern finishes might be more experimental. - Again pm me if I can be of help.

* If you're interested, I could let you know how to make a 'knocked back' solvent to reduce potential damage
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

many thanks Tom

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:27 am

At the moment it is a question asked BEFORE I go looking so I know how much I can/should do if the rifle takes my fancy!!

First I need to sell one. Anyone need a MEOPTA Artemis 2000 6X42 scope at a good price :cool:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.