Lacquered milsurp

Questions and tips about taking care of the weapons we collect and shoot.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Bashers

Lacquered milsurp

Post by Bashers » Mon May 04, 2009 2:26 pm

recently got into shooting, recently got my first rifle, an AIA M10 A1 in 7.62 x 39. Bought some lacquered steel case milsurp ammo to go with it. AIA warned me off using lacquered stuff in their rifles as " the build up of lacquer in the chamber can cause extraction problems" Unfortunatly i have about 400 rounds of the stuff, is this amount likley to cause me problems and how hard is it to clean lacquer build up from in the chamber? Also, this will be the first time the rifles been fired since leaving the factory, would it be best to use brass commercial ammunition for the bedding in period? Any advise would be most welcome as im very new to shooting and still finding my way

cheers

Ben
Tom-May
Leading Member

Re: Lacquered milsurp

Post by Tom-May » Tue May 05, 2009 10:35 am

"...how hard is it to clean lacquer build up from in the chamber?..."

It's going to depend on the nature of the lacquer.

I'd start by trying methylated spirits and white Spirit or Terpentine on a nylon bristled brush.

If that doesn't work, you may have to resort to stronger sovents

Try to keep the solvents away from the woodwork as they're likely to remove some of the oils from the wood.

Any help?

Tom
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue May 05, 2009 11:16 am

I'd try the ammo first and see what happens. Lacquered 7.62x39 is pretty common. And... it doesn't seem to do anything to semi auto rifles like the SKS or AK. The slower natural cyle with your bolt gun may or may not result in a problem. I'm thinking of the 7.62x54r silver tip lacquer case Mosin Nagant fodder which produced sticking in some bolt guns and no sticking in others. The ones that stuck could be "cleaned" afterward and could shoot copper washed and brass case ammo with no problems.

Put, AIA M10 A1 in 7.62 x 39, into the site search feature and it will take you to a post string or two that you might find of interest..maybe pm someone in the string what their experiences have been.
Bashers

Post by Bashers » Wed May 06, 2009 7:03 am

cheers guys, I feel more confident about using it now. Ill shoot the stuff i have and keep an eye out for lacquer build, ive been told the chromed lined barrels are more resilient so shouldnt be to much of a chore to clean. thanks again for the tips.
Candyman
Contributing Member

Post by Candyman » Sat May 15, 2010 12:23 pm

Acetone will remove any lacquer build up. You will just have to remove the stock before cleaning or be very careful not to get any on the wood.