windex or not to windex... that is the question?

Questions and tips about taking care of the weapons we collect and shoot.

Moderator: Aughnanure

spearedum
Leading Member

windex or not to windex... that is the question?

Post by spearedum » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:18 am

I cleaned my stock with de-greaser(F 409), but just wiped it off without rinsing off with a lot of H2O. It left some of the grime on the neck of the darkish yellow stock, but I don't think it's Burch or teak... maybe ash. My Loewe's M91 Engineers Carbine is defiantly walnut, but my other M91 DWM EC is true-oiled or varnished(?)... dark and shiny like a commercial rifle. I think that stock was sanded; the serial # is faint and illegible, so I don't know if the stock is walnut or matches the receiver.

Do I need to use windex to counteract the de-greaser? :shock:

thanx Dante'
wh12725
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wh12725 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:22 pm

I don't know for sure one NEEDS to, but I do. I either use Windex or a warm solution of Murphy's Oil Soap. It just seems to make sense to me that something should lift that rather caustic degreaser out of the wood. I just give it a quick rinse and dry with paper towels or a clean rag....so as not to soak the wood. I have on rare occasions used a product called Purple Power. It is an automotive degreaser carried by Wal-Mart. It cuts everything, cosmo, wood stain, everything. Obviously I only use this on 'reclamation' projects that I'm fond of doing during the cold of winter.
wh12725
LECS 03C1016
sunray
Contributing Member

Post by sunray » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:39 pm

"...Burch or teak...maybe ash..." It won't be teak or ash. Most likely birch or a laminated stock.

"...to counteract the de-greaser..." Windex has ammonia in it. Use mineral spirits to de-grease both wood and metal. It's cheap and evaporates so you don't need anything to take it off.
Spelling and grammar always count.
spearedum
Leading Member

1st I tried speedy dri

Post by spearedum » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:16 am

That worked, somewhat..., but left a gray residue.... washed it off quickly with HOT water, dried, and tried the F409.

I had a stock with mucho cosmo, and I used straght PP, so I countereracted with Windex; It came out OK.

I have used M'Spirits with 0000 steekwool, and that's works the best on most stocks.

Thanx Dante'
"We do not stop laughing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop laughing!"

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear: DRIVE FASTER!!!
I found the mirror at a wrecked race car at California (AAA) Speedway
RGRWJB
Sustaining Member

cleaning stocks

Post by RGRWJB » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:39 pm

I have a sizable collection and found the liquid orange cleaner workes just right. It doesnt harm the original finish and but removes grease and dirt.