Davide Pedersoli P58 Enfield

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Davide Pedersoli P58 Enfield

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:19 pm

Now that the trigger is working properly on my Davide Pedersoli Enfield 2 band P58 it was time to try it out.
Load was 54 grains of Vectan Pnf2 (fffg) with a LEE .575 500grn (nominal) minié bullet. Barrel cleaned every 5 shots.
First 6 rounds at 50 mtrs;

I then moved the target back to 100 mtrs and fired a total of 9 rounds - 1 hit at 10 o'clock almost off the paper using the same POA............
Returned to 50 mtrs and shot the remaining rounds using the same POA. All hits

Does anyone know of a rear sight with windage adjustment that would fit this rifle? I also need to sort out my eyes because I can't see the foresight or target clearly at 100 mtrs - I wear varifocals and my right (shooting) eye needs a x3 prism lens. (Maybe have a pair of glasses made with a bi-focal lens)
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Davide Pedersoli P58 Enfield

Post by Niner » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:38 pm

Looks like that latest batch of roll your own lead ammo worked just fine. Great.

With my crappy vision, the long barrel of the 1858 Enfield is one of the better ones to get a sight picture with. I can actually see, more or less clearly, the front sight and line it up in the V notch of the rear sight. Now getting a clear view of a target like yours at a hundred years and being able to clearly tell the black middle from the white is impossible.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:39 pm

This looks as though it would work on the existing back site.

And this may be a solution to shooting glasses - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6a20stHk6k&t=193s
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:16 pm

I don't think you will find that replacement iron sight significantly better. I have an Italian reproduction 1853 as well as a pretty old Nepal historic 1853. Both back sights look like the way Enfield and God intended them to be. Of course God doesn't need glasses and his eyesight doesn't waver and the Enfield design was retired as obsolete a long time ago. I took some snap shots of both the old 1853 and the new to show how similar they are.

If I took a notion to help out the sight picture I'd try adding some of those glow in the light dots to the front sight and the back sight. Like a photo I'll add of an air rifle I own.
Attachments
1853.jpg
dots.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:32 pm

I think I can modify the existing back site just using the part in the red oval as it will maintain the current dimensions. Need to try using some aluminium flat and angle.
Duncan

ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:16 pm

I look forward to seeing how this goes.

-ArchFluffy
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:54 am

Duncan, how about trying the old trick of making a peephole aperture card to stick on your specs?
I also struggle with the sights on my 3 band P53 Parker Hale but haven't as yet tried this method.
My efforts with 3 different bullet types tuesday just gone, 50m, and 70g Swiss No. 3.

Joe
Attachments
P53 target 002.JPG
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Joe, I am currently working on one of these to see if it does help. I will post the answer as soon as it is obvious! :roll: :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6a20stHk6k
Duncan