Marksmanship in 1819

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

Marksmanship in 1819

Post by Niner » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:07 am

I was reading a book by R. L. Wilson entitled The Peacemakers. It's about guns and the American West. One bit was to me worth noticing. Shortly after Lewis and Clark made their exploration, the US government sent out another expedition under the command of Stephen Long. It started out from St. Louis in June 1819. Long's troop of adventurers had mostly rifled guns.... like those made famous in Pennsylvania, and Kentucky, and some 1803 Harpers Ferry government rifles.

The part that was interesting is that " Long's troops were encouraged to practice on targets. The best shots were expected to 'hit the same mark, 3 inches in diameter, offhand, at one hundred yards'. Those doing so three times in six are raised to the first Class....There are but few who are not in the first class." Now that's a lot better shooting than I'd have expected for some reason.

And as a further thought....next time I take out my BP rifles for a workout I'll see how close I can come to being "first class". Maybe just take the flinter... caplocks may be fudging a bit.