THE BEST LAID PLANS....................

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

Re: THE BEST LAID PLANS....................

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:23 pm

:loco: Sorry....guess I wasn't thinking. That doesn't seem normal at all that there could be that much residue in the barrel after just the second shot. Whatever..... I'll just go back to sleep.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm

Duncan,

It seems like a lubrication problem; try loading a well greased wad below the projectile.
I've never (fingers crossed) had a bullet stick in loading although I've also loaded a ball (or two or three) without powder and got it out the same way as Robert did.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:55 am

Is loading a wad before the bullet going to cause accuracy problems Eoin?
The gun shop where I bought the rifle said it wasn't necessary but as I am new to BP rifles I honestly don't know. :roll:
I found thishttp://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/wiping.html which might be the answer and also this http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-p ... shots.html Check out #8
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Have you considered using round ball ammo and a greased patch to see what they would do? I would imagine the rifling has a fast twist and is made for the conical shape but the round patch ball should present no strongly noticed loading problem for at least as many rounds as you will probably feel like shooting at one time.

In my 58 caliber 1853, the only bp rifle I shoot with conicals, I have had no problem loading them at all. That's what the orginal minie was expected to do and much of its benefit over patched ball ammo in rifled weapons. The original pattern minie has a cupped back end with walls that narrow. When fired the base of the bullet expands to meet the rifling. I just grease up the ammo grooves and they load easy shot after shot. I did however, recently get some "Maxi" bullets with a thick base and no cup in their base. I've not tried them yet to see if they present any problem in loading. I'll make it a point to try them in the coming week if I am not distracted by some other project.

I've never used any patching material with conical rifle bullets.....although one experienced shooter who doesn't post here any longer used to do so I think.
Attachments
IMGP1010.jpg
base.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Finally got some quiet range time yesterday, a whole afternoon at the new club with only my pal Alain and I there.
I took some pics to give you an idea of the club and also a couple of the Ardesa.
Attachments
Last shot of the day and the target
Last shot of the day and the target
Loading table and a cleaning patch after ne shot
Loading table and a cleaning patch after ne shot
50 mtr firing point showing the electric target holders
50 mtr firing point showing the electric target holders
50 mtr lane closure boards and the target 'docks'
50 mtr lane closure boards and the target 'docks'
50 mtr range viewed from both ends.
50 mtr range viewed from both ends.
25 mtr & 50 mtr firing points
25 mtr & 50 mtr firing points
25 mtr range targets and looking back to the firing points
25 mtr range targets and looking back to the firing points
5 of the 10 x 25 mtr firing points.
5 of the 10 x 25 mtr firing points.
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:23 am

I just ordered a 250grn R-E-A-L Lee mold from Kranks in Leeds. Amazingly, it is about £9 cheaper to buy from them and have it shipped than it is to buy it in France at TEC MAGEX http://tecmagex.com/en/ :roll:
Let's see if it improves things :cool: :cool:
Attachments
REAL mold.jpg
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Spent this afternoon casting some .454 & .457 round ball for 1858 Remington's and also .50 R-E-A-L bullets for the Evolution. Will see if they solve the fouling problem.
They certainly cast easily in pure lead.
Attachments
REAL BULLET web.jpg
Duncan

Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Post by Karl/Pa. » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:17 am

You're experiencing way too much fouling Duncan. What brand and type powder are you using? And what lube? Minies will give the best accuracybut they need to be sized after casting to no more than .002" undedr bore size for best performance.
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:24 pm

In a bit of a rush to get sorted last Wednesday but I should have spent more time checking things out..................you live but you don't learn :roll:

A general summing up:-
I fired 11 rounds without cleaning the barrel using the LEE R-E-A-L bullets lubed with Alox.
As you can see from the target (patches are from the first shoot) things started OK but got worse. I did move the windage on the back sight after the first 5 shots and then I seem to have lost it a bit. Bigger target next time :lol: :lol: The last bullet stuck half way into the barrel and I broke my home made wooden ramrod trying to seat it.

What has this learning curve taught me you all ask :mrgreen:

Firstly, I think I should check weight and batch the cast bullets in case there are some big variations.

Secondly, I checked the BP that I was using - Vectan Chasse. I was told that it was the equivalent of FFFG ( Granular dims of 0.25 - 0.70 mm ) but having discovered a site with Vectan Info on it, I find that it is in fact only FFG with granular dims of 0.20 - 1.0 mm so that would appear to answer the fouling problems. A coarser powder that is not burning properly.

I went to Bordeaux today and bought 500g of Vectan PNF2 (FFFG) and will try it out as soon as I can get to the range again.

Thirdly, I need to get my hands on a 1mtr length of 10mm O/D aluminum bar to make a better ramrod :cool:

So....................onwards and upwards it is, will report again when I have tried the above out :cry: ( I hope someone else is learning from all this :cool: :cool: )
Attachments
10 AUG TARGET.jpg
Duncan

belgmart
Contributing Member

Post by belgmart » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:15 am

Dunc,

Lose the alox, get a good, decent BP lube - alox is a cr*ppy BP lube. Try 50/50 beeswax/peanut oil (or olive oil, for that matter) for starters. Your lube is the issue, it doesn't combine with BP fouling. Also,you could try wiping with a damp (not wet!) patch between shots to ease your fouling problems - although I do believe that with a good BP lube, you wouldn't have any issues.
Pan-lube those bullets, they will carry more than enough lube to keep the fouling soft - provided you use a good BP lube... which alox most certainly isnt. You'll probably have to get out some leading out of the bore before next try...