Flask problem

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

Flask problem

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:36 am

The best laid plans....you know how that goes. And the spur of the moment plans work out about the same in my case.

I took a notion to see how my bp 1853 Enfield would shoot some new ammo along with using some new musket caps. I got one of my flasks and proceeded to load it up with some Pyrodex to give me extra powder since my actual BP supply was gone other than a little I had in my regular rifle flask. Then...after loading the spare flask up, I discovered the spring catch wasn't returning the brass shutoff. Had to take it apart and seeing the brass piece that seals the opening had come loose I had to figure out a way to get it on with some likelyhood of staying on. Best solution I could come up with at the moment was to use a little super glue. Have no idea how long this will fix it.

The shooting secession was scrubbed as it would be pretty warm by the time I got to the range. Not much fun shooting in middle of the day 95 degree heat.
Attachments
IMGP0986.jpg
off.jpg
glue.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Flask problem

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:23 pm

I have one flask which I leave in the Remington Pistol Box for show. I never use it to load the revolver. I pre-measure my loads into plastic tubes and charge the cylinder that way. It means consistent loads and safer loading (IMO).
I know we have already discussed the weight-v-volume thing Robert, however............................most recommended loads are quoted in grains (which I convert to grams) and load accordingly using scales.

I have noticed how corrosive BP is, even in flasks and so decided some time ago to use my plastic tubes. As a matter of interest, I get them from a local chemist who sells them to a lab for blood samples to be put in analysis - MUCH cheaper than those sold by gun shops :lol: :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0491 web.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:23 pm

According to Sam Fadala....long time guru of US bp shooters.... what you are doing is not only not according to Hoyle but could be dangerous, particularly if you were using a bp substitute. The difference in actual weight against a volume measure can be of some significance. For instance, Pyrodex, measured at 88 grains by weight would be 120 by volume, and this could produce a safety issue in some guns.

BP has a more closer relationship.

Here are some numbers from Fadala's BP loading manual.

ffg Black powder:

40 grain setting by volume equals 40.3 by weight.

60 grain setting by volume equals 61.5.

80 grain setting by volume equals 81.2.

But if you use Pyrodex RS for rifles:

40 grain by volume equals 28. 0 grains by weight.

60 grains by volume equals 44.5 grains.

80 grains by volume equals 60.0 grains.

For pistols, using Pyrodex P

20 by volume is 14 by grains weight.

30 by volume is 24 grains weight.

40 by volume is 31 by weight.
Attachments
IMGP0990.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Can't get BP substitutes here, only use Pure Charcoal Robert. :cool:

Doesn't answer my question though. If volume is so important, why do recommended loads come in Grains / Grams from the people who make BP replicas?
I would suggest that a variation of 1.2 grains makes little if no difference to a load of BP.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Here is a chart that is possibly..... kind of...sort of... about correct.

I mentioned the volume thing because somebody who doesn't know any better could use Pyrodex or some other subsitute by weight which could produce a problem. If you just use the volume measure all the time you don't have to worry about getting any measurement mixed up.

http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm