New Toy

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: New Toy

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:51 am

Glad it performed like I said it should :roll:
I haven't had any time to try mine again with the finer powder and it looks like it will be a while before I can what with family visiting and then our holiday it could be October before I get to the range again :(
Still, a visit to Persolie next month will make up for it :bigsmile:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
NuJudge
Contributing Member

Post by NuJudge » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:26 am

Such rifles are fun to shoot, but as I get older, I am less willing to put up with cleaning that is necessary after firing Black Powder. In the period just before Deer season, I will shoot Black Powder several times, and usually just swab down with a water-displacing oil such as WD40.

The lubricant used with a rifle such as you are shooting, will usually determine how many shots before having to swab the bore.

Here in the US, a powder called Blackhorn 209 has been available for almost 2 years. It cleans up with common nitro-powder solvents. No water-based solvents necessary. The only problem is that it only works with In-Line muzzleloaders, and only ignites with those using 209 shotgun primers. I really like the stuff. No swabing between shots, ever.

I should be out shooting my Knight rifles this afternoon. They use saboted pistol bullets and no lube.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:41 am

"Swab down with water displacing oil like WD40" would be interesting to try as an aid to swab the bore between shots. I've never done that before. However, in the past I used to use WD40 on my BP guns after cleaning. My thinking was that I was "displacing water" after a hot water cleaning and protecting it from moisture . I then later discovered that after a few months storage of a gun the "oil" had turned into a tacky coating on all the places I had put it. I've since gone back to oil made to be "gun oil" as a final wipe down.
NuJudge
Contributing Member

Don't think WD40 betw. shots will help

Post by NuJudge » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Petroleum-based anything has hurt in muzzleloaders, in my experience. The WD40 is great in that that it delays the need to clean with water based solvents, but it's terrible stuff otherwise. Always gumming things up.

I had a great day with a Knight Wolverine, Disc, and Disc Extreme. Accuracy was a bit odd beyond 100 yards, but I enjoyed myself, and the phone did not ring once.
blackisler
Moderator Sponsor 1911,12,13,14,15,16

Post by blackisler » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Update on the Ardessa Evolution
Took it to the range today and tried it out with the 250 grn 45cal sst with sabot , Unfortunately no pics as I could not shoot and take pics at same time :shock:
I started at 100 mtrs where I put 5 shots at the target First shot was about 10 inches low so adjusted for that the next 4 was all in the black I then shot to the 200 mtr target, I had to adjust the sights half way up the ramp before i started to hit the black , I was using the standard 200 mtr round target and as I only had a limited amount of rounds I did not adjust for windage ,So just to be able to hit inside the black was enough for me. The charge I was using was 150 grn medium black powder and have learned that when using that charge I will have to change to the shot gun primers as it practicaly melted the centre of the "Top Hat" musket primers. :( :( . All in all I was very happy with the performance and potential accuracy at 200 mtrs. I will try it with 380 grn cast lead over 60gns powder at 100 and 200 mtrs the next time I am at the Rifle range and will ask the guys at the butts to take some pics for me .
Robert :SCO:
live life for today as tomorrow may never come
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Sounds really good Robert
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.