Forstyh Rifling

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Aughnanure

Forstyh Rifling

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:39 am

Roger Renner of The Uderhammer Society (http://underhammers.blogspot.com/) has very kindly offered his readers an e-book download of ' The Sporting Rifle : and its projectiles' . (1856).
Lt. James Forsyth, Bengal Staff Corps.

There is a good read on Roger's blog on Forsyth rifling and lots of other things apertaining to underhammer rifles etc. Just follow the url and send Roger an e-mail and the book is yours, in PDF, ready to print.

I've done a copy on 120 paper, to hell with the cost :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Front end shewing Forsyth rifling and its narrow lands

and an interesting chart

Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Forstyh Rifling

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:19 pm

Eoin........
I contacted Roger and asked for a copy so I could send it to a friend of mine in Yorkshire who I was sure would appreciate it.

What a nice, friendly chap Roger is. :D

Anyway, I sent the PDF and today I got a letter from my friend Bill which I post below. A couple of interesting points from a man with a SERIOUS collection of guns and a fascinating life to talk about.

Roger.
I have just received a letter from my friend in the UK about the book.
I was going to scan it and send it but it's rather difficult to read so a transcript follows.

"I find it is one of those books that you don't want to put down but I felt I ought to in order to write and say Thank You.
I have shot ball from smooth bores of several different sizes, the largest was a 12 which, as an LDV (later Home Guard) I was issued with a small number of (rather scarce) 'lethals' in order to kill any invading Germans!
I remember having to turn a 'minimum' plug gauge to ensure that we didn't use them in shotguns with more than a moderate degree of choke!
I agree with Forsyth that at normal sporting range for heavy game (less than 100 yds ) they would have been quite adequate.
I haven't got far enough in the book to see what he thinks of breech loaders but of course in 1867 he wouldn't have had access to those now available.
For dangerous game I used a Jeffry .404 capable of one shot kills against anything, though it didn't stop a charging buffalo even with a heart shot!
My other rifle was a Savage .30-06 with a scope which if shot accurately will kill anything - and I used nothing but service ammunition which cost me nothing ( I 'inherited' 1000 rounds ).
it's flat trajectory and accuracy made it lethal at ridiculously long ranges when shot prone with a sling. It's high velocity of course produced 'hydraulic shock' which was unknown to Forsyth ( and is still doubted by more conservative sportsmen).
I now regret not taking a muzzle loading rifle to Africa but in those days I didn't take them seriously. Now all we can do is read books like Forsyth's"
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:20 am

Duncan,

In the next couple of days I'll be posting Roger my simple but very effective method of bookbinding so will post it on here as well.

Cheers.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
gunsports

Post by gunsports » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:22 am

I've been aware of Firsyth rifling for some years now. Searched around and managed to get a reprint of his book; before it was avalable on Google. Bad news: Forsyth basically showed that modern black powder guns, especially those used for hunting; fell far short of their true potential. Then, tried to get hold of a Forsyth rifled barrel. No luck. October Country (USA) made large bore rifles (20 ga - 8 bore), but their prices were well beyond my modest means. Roger Renner too; same problem.

Found a guy on one of the other sites that made himself a Forsyth rifled barrel and, by all accounts, these barrels lived up to what Forsyth said. I was hooked: so much so, that I considered getting a smooth barrel and rifling it myself.

Spoke to some friends over in the USA and they in turn, spoke to some more friends. Eventually, we managed to pester one of the major US barrel makers to give Forsyth barrels a try. They made up a batch in .62 cal, 1:95 rifling twist and I'm happy to say, I think the first production run is all but sold out. My barrel is standing here, waiting its turn to be built into an English Sporting Rifle. In addition, I am building two 12 bore English Sporting Rifles for clients - from barrels we had customm made in the US.

Cannot wait to see what these barrels will do on African game.

BTW: Rice barrels are making them now.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:29 am

A warm welcome to you gunsports and thanks for your information. I hope you can post more info as you progress and some photo's too :D :D
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.