LUBED WADS.

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

LUBED WADS.

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:19 pm

During the Skype Chat on Sunday talk got round to BP shooting and I said I would post some detail about how I make Lubed Wads for my 1858 Remy.
I load; Powder Charge, Maize Filler, Lubed Wad, Ball.

I make the wads from 3mm thick felt which I buy from the local haberdashers in the form of a bag.

This costs about 6.30€ / £5.25 / $8.21 / AU$7.83. These bags (the use of which I do not know) make between 1200 & 1300 wads which puts each wad at about 0.0049€ / 0.49€ per 100!

To make the wads you will need;-
Felt.
Punch.
Scissors
Pan for melting the lube.
Heat (stove etc.,)
Beeswax.
Olive Oil.
A cake rack.
Pair of tweezers or similar.
A Hammer Punch.
Hammer
Dowel
A cross section of tree stump.
An airtight receptical.

I have to take pictures of the process so will leave it at that for now. :D
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Gatofeo

Re: LUBED WADS.

Post by Gatofeo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:09 pm

The best lubricant recipe I've found is an old 19th century factory recipe that I found years ago.
It listed 10 pounds of tallow, 10 pounds paraffin and 5 pounds beeswax.
I refined the recipe somewhat, changing it to:

1 part canning paraffin (the pure, translucent paraffin used to seal the tops of jars of preserves)

1 part mutton tallow (my research and experience have shown mutton tallow to be the best. I've tried a variety of tallows and drippings -- beef, pork, turkey, deer, bear, lard, etc. None have been as good as mutton tallow.

1/2 part beeswax. The real stuff. Ten or more years ago, toilet seals were made of beeswax. I haven't seen any such seals in a long time, they've all become synthetic. Avoid the petroleum-made beeswax and get the real stuff.

All measurements are based on weight, not volume. I typically measure 200/200/100 grams of ingredients on a kitchen scale, put them into a widemouth, quart Mason jar, and put the jar into 3 or 4 inches of boiling water for a double-boiler effect. This is the safest way to melt waxes. When all ingredients are melted, stir well and remove from heat. Allow to cool at room temperature. Trying to hasten hardening by placing the jar in the refrigerator or into a cold room may cause the paraffin to harden first and separate.

Screw a lid down tightly on the jar to keep the lubricant from drying out, and to keep dust and bugs from entering. This lubricant, if stored at room temperature, will not sour or become rotten. I have lubricant I've stored in my spare room for years, without a hint of it spoiling.

As for felt, use only felt made from 100 percent wool, if you can get it. So much felt today is polyester (plastic). This may leave melted plastic deposits in your barrel. Polyester felt is too soft, anyway. You want wool felt that is hard. The best source for this in the States is Durofelt.com in Little Rock, Arkansas. In France, where you are, a good source would be old hats. An old cowboy hat would work, but I'm uncertain if you can find such a thing there. Perhaps a hat manufacturer would sell or give you some scraps.

For the .44 cap and ball, you'll need to make .45-caliber wads. An 11.5mm punch would work, or use a fired .45 Auto or .45 Long Colt case. Punch out the fired primer, drilled out the primer well, and use a short stick to push out cut wads. The edge of a sharp knife, run around the mouth of the case, will keep it sharp enough for cutting wads. Or use the chamfering tool that reloaders use, as made by Lee, RCBS or Lyman.

To lubricate the wads, place about 3 Tablespoons (45 cc) of lubricant in a clean tuna or pet food can (with paper label removed). Place it on the stove at very low heat. Very low, you only want to melt the lubricant and not scorch it. When melted, add the wads and stir until they have all soaked up the lubricant. Remove from heat and allow to cool at room temperature.
Now, snap a plastic top over the can -- the kind made for pet food and sold in the pet food aisle of your store. This now doubles as the container you take to the range. When you are low on wads, melt some more lubricant in the can, add more wads, allow to cool and snap the plastic top on again. If you use more than one caliber, or type of lubricant, you can write this information on the side of the can. These cans will stack on top of each other, for easy storage.

In use, add a measured amount of powder to the chamber. For the .44 Remington, 30 grains is a good load. If your revolver has a brass frame, use 25 grains and do not exceed 30 grains. Brass-framed revolvers are damaged by full-pressure loads.
After adding the powder, push a lubricated wad into the chamber mouth with your thumb. Rotate the cylinder and seat the wad firmly on the powder, but not hard or you'll crush the powder grains and may affect its burning rate.
After all chambers are charged, and a wad seated firmly, then seat a .454 inch ball. Though many sources suggest a .451 inch ball, it's best to use a .454 inch to ensure that the ball is tight in the chamber and won't move from the recoil of others chambers firing.

For caps, you'll have to determine whether No. 10 or 11 caps work best on your revolver's nipples. I would guess that your Remington takes No. 11 caps, but that's only an educated guess. Before placing the cap on the nipple, squeeze it into a slight elliptical shape. This will help the cap cling to the nipple, discouraging it from falling off, oir flying off during the recoil of other chambers.

If you use a lubricated felt wad between the powder and ball, there is no need to put grease over the ball.
You're now ready to shoot!

The earliest printed reference I've found to the use of lubricated felt wads in cap and ball revolvers is a 1928 American Rifleman magazine. The late American gun writer Elmer Keith (1899-1983) began carrying a Colt 1851 Navy when he was 12, growing up in Montana. Veterans of the Civil War showed him how to load it. Though he suggests using lubricated wads in his 1955 book, "Sixgun" and earlier writings, he doesn't say whether the Civil War veterans showed him this trick.
The old-timers were known to put some lubricants such as beeswax or candle wax on the balls of their revolvers, but this was probably done more for waterproofing than lubricating.
The old, original instructions printed by the Colt factory said to use no wads or patches. This was said because prior to the revolver, pistols were single-shot and required a cloth patch to hold the ball. Colt's instructions mention no bullet lubricant at all, but later bullet moulds made by Colt show a lubricant groove around the pointed bullet, to hold some type of lubricant.
Though Colt didn't suggest any type of bullet lubricant, I'm sure that plenty of shooters used something to keep the fouling soft and the revolver operating longer. Even spitting on the face of the cylinder, during battle, would have kept fouling softer.
Shooters are also known to blow their breath down the bore, from the muzzle end, for the moisture in their breath to soften fouling. The descendant of this practice is still seen today, when a shooter blows the smoke off the muzzle of his pistol, whether it's a cowboy or a modern detective.

Have fun with that Remington.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:50 pm

Good post Gatofeo. Lots to mull over in what you write. Glad you took the time to write it.

Making wads seems like a good cost cutting expedient well worth discussing. I do like using wads over the old cream of wheat and grease method that used to be offered all the time by some people as " proper". Don't know where I can get any mutton tallow though, but it's an idea and a direction to proceed in none the less. :bigsmile:

It has long interested me, in a wondering sort of way, how Colt and other mid 19th Century pistol makers intended their guns to be loaded. I'd imagine the R&D department on loading had a pretty small to non-existent staff back in the day so actual expert scientifically arrived at advice was probably lacking to a large extent.

When you look at issue pistol ammo of the Civil War...either side... as you see in books, they seemed to all be manufactured with a contained powder load held inside a combustible envelope. The envelope, seems to me, acted as a wad and resulted in a seal, although not as a useful lubricant or burnt powder softener. In actual practise though I'd think there wasn't much reloading of pistols in actual combat, as officers spent more time waving swords and giving directional orders than pistol shooting. And the Calvary privates who actually used the pistols were said to have had more than one each....besides the saber.

At the range or in civilian shooting of any sort, I agree heartily that it is better to use the wads when loading and that you get more shots with easy loading using lubricated wads.

I stole the attached photo from Echoes of Glory from Time, Life,Books.
Attachments
ScanImage002.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:58 am

Good post Gatofeo :)
I have not had a chance to take more pictures yet but in the mean time, I have a question that should generate some debate.................
I load my chambers, as I have said above, with powder,filler,wad & ball. The reason I use a filler is so that the ball just fits the chamber leaving it flush with the top. this is so the ball has the minimum distance to travel before entering the rifling in the barrel. If I load without the filler the ball sits well down the chamber.
SO! which is best? Flush or not ;)
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Gatofeo

Post by Gatofeo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Whether to use a filler depends largely upon one big factor: is it accurate.
Whether to use a filler has been debated for years. Some swear by it, others say it makes no difference.
Frankly, I feel it comes down to the individual revolver and the shooter.
In a very well made 1858 Remington with modern, adjustable sights -- and a shooter with a good eye -- the filler might demonstrate an advantage.
But in a $100 revolver that is poorly fit and finished, in the hands of a mediocre or bad shooter -- you couldn't tell the difference, if there is one.
The problem is that most cap and ball revolvers don't have finely adjustable sights. Most of the people that shoot them aren't out for precise accuracy, they're out to have fun. Even those who compete in cowboy matches are satisfied with 4" groups, because the target is relatively large and the range short.
Does using a filler make a difference?
Is a ball seated flush with the chamber mouth more accurate than one seated below it?
Not that I've been able to tell, and I shoot most of my revolvers from a benchrest at a measured 25 yards.
My own Uberti-made Remington .44 will put six balls or Lee conical bullets into 1-1/2 inches at 25 yards, from a benchrest. I've tried filler in it but haven't seen an improvement.
What I have noticed is that a lubricated felt wad between the ball and powder is usually more accurate than smearing Crisco or other grease over the ball after it's seated.
I rarely use a filler anymore. When I do, I use corn meal because it compresses and is more forgiving than Cream of Wheat if I put in too much.
You're in France, Duncan, so perhaps a very fine-grained couscous would work, since finding corn meal is probably difficult.
But I suspcct that most people won't see much difference between a flush ball and one seated deep.
If any have, and have the targets to prove it, I'd be interested.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:54 pm

Old Sam Fadala has written a lot about his experience loading amd testing all sorts of BP guns. He doesn't express any preference between the wads and the filler and uses either. But one thing he concludes in most of his tests is that lighter loads in the spectrum of possiblity are generally the best for accuracy after trying multiple load powder grain weights. One I picked out of an old Gun Digest loading manuel he wrote to state what he found by testing loads in the 44 Rugar Old Army I'll include at the end of this to show how large a range of loads he tried. And.. although he tested between 20 grain and 40 grain loads in both actual bp and in Pyrodex. His conclusion of the "optimum" load for the Rugar was..for Sam... 25 grains using either Pyrodex or BP.

I think Sam was on the right track. The most important variable in shooting bp pistols is not if you use wads or filler but how much powder you use. At least that's my 2 cents worth. And.... I think the best load for target shooting is just about always going to be on the low end of the possible spectrum of minimum to max load. You just have to shoot each particular pistol until you find your "optimum" load.
Attachments
ScanImage001.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:35 am

You're in France, Duncan, so perhaps a very fine-grained couscous would work, since finding corn meal is probably difficult.
I use Polenta which is Maize and is very fine, better than couscous but I might just use a the powder/wad/ball in the future - less to carry and measure. My load is 1.4 grams / 21.6o2 grains of 3F which seems to work fine now I have changed from 2F.
Attachments
POLENTA.jpg
Duncan

Reese Williams
Regular visitor

Post by Reese Williams » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Niner,

For tallow you can use lard. Just be sure to buy unsalted lard. I use a 50/50 mix of lard and beeswax for my Enfield .58 cal muskets and have been very happy with it. You should be able to get lard at any grocery store but may have better luck at a Greer's or Piggly Wiggly and Publix.

RW
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks Reese. Surprise that you have heard of Greer's. I thought those ghetto area stores were only in lower Alabama. We got a Publix in the next county and I don't think we have any Piggly Wiggly's left in the area. Around here people buy from their super Walmart grocery section or stand alone Walmart grocery stores....... and then there are Bruno's and Food World and Winn Dixie chain stores.

I'll have to make a note to see if any of the stores I frequent have any plain lard on the shelf now days. Can you imagine the saturated fat warning on the label? Probably need to be over 21 to buy it and the package probably has one of those hazard warnings like tobacco products. :D