Holster

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Holster

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:17 am

Now ready for use after some leather softening and oiling.
It's a Cabela's Tripple K Walnut Oil Plain. Got to look out for a nice belt now.....................................
Attachments
HOLSTER web.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
A square 10
Leading Member

Re: Holster

Post by A square 10 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:11 pm

thats a nice fit - tripple K makes decent leather products , i purchased a setup for my grandsons SASS [cowboy action gear] im very immmpressed with it so far ,
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:05 pm

I have a few holsters for my BP and Western revolvers. My 1860 Army Colt fits in a reproduction Civil War era holster. Only thing is that the holster is made to fit a left handed shooter by the then standards. Back in the day an officer who was right handed would carry his pistol on his right side with the butt facing forward. The idea was that he could draw his sword with his right hand across his body from the scabbard on his left side and grab his pistol across his body with his left hand. The sword was more important in the day...for gesturing and pointing and directing and acting brave and encouraging. Or... a cavalry trooper would want to have his sword in his dominant hand when attacking....probably a reason why we don't have cavalry troops any longer. It took a while to notice that shooting from a distance beat carving people from close up.

But the later Western model revolver is in the normal right handed mode and in the quick draw Buscadero style. .357 Mag caliber...not exactly true to the old west...but.... I don't live in the Old West.
Attachments
DSC01439.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:07 am

Don't know about the CSA holster Robert but that Western one would cost about $120 here and not as fancy as yours :(
Attachments
ScreenShot002.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:47 am

I got the Western Holster and belt set from Cheaper Than Dirt a few years ago. It says it was made in El Paso, Texas.......or maybe China actually...who knows? I don't think I paid but about $60 for it. After looking online they don't seem to have any more for sale. The Civil War reproduction was pretty cheap twenty years ago from Dixie Gun Works. I think they still sell for about $20 in the US.
Attachments
DSC01440.jpg
A square 10
Leading Member

Post by A square 10 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:06 pm

i have tended to go plain in my gear too , not that i dont appreciate fine leather work , im just a plain old scottsman ........ :SCO:

grandsons gear - tripple K

my gear - galco

and that long range sidematch rifle i had to have -sharps 45-70

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:04 pm

A Square 10, I noticed the reverse holster on the left side. The old Cowboys of the silver screen down to the singing cowboys, Roy and Gene, liked double rigs with lots of decoration, the low slung gunslinger Buscadero style with both gun handles going back. There were a couple of odd balls....like Wild Bill Elliot that reversed the draw...but they weren't the big name favorites.

http://www.b-westerns.com/gunbelt.htm

That style of holster, like A Square's, that is plain and rides kidney high got to be the standard fair of John Wayne in his movies during his last dozen or so big dollar Westerns. I'd say A Square has that later version down pretty pat and, perhaps, it's more historically correct.

When I was a small boy the cowboy stuff was always on the list for Christmas.....the two gun cap pistol sets and the boots that I would outgrow long before the next Christmas and the red bandana with the bolo and the hat, the fancy shirt, and the spurs, and the chaps, and the ...etc.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Remember when Westerns got to be "adult" on TV? Gunsmoke was a fixture for decades. One of my favorites was Have Gun Will Travel. This "adult" show split the difference on the rig. Low slung, just one gun, not fancy like the general audience cowboys, for kids cowboys, and the singing cowboys....just a knight chess piece like a badge on the holster for one tough serious "adult" cowboy who never herded any cows. It was the featured every week in the opening moments of the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QclVGUHvRvE
A square 10
Leading Member

Post by A square 10 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:25 pm

ill admit it - im a john wayne fan , right down to the 45-70 in the middle of my 45colts on the belt , i wear jeans rolled like his in the searchers , and i prefer the cavalry bib shirt , i dont have his stature so my hats not so big ....and its brown , i cross draw because i am right handed and its uncomfortable to switch the left/right after drawing , and im not much good so i dont know why i worry about it :lol:

me with a couple shooting pals , the big , the small and the ugly , im the old fart

i dont go for the B-western flash so much as some do , nor the traditional sodbuster/gunslinger looks , but some of my friends do , some shoot black powder exclusively ,