ARDESA IN LINE

Muzzle and breech loading black powder firearms. Military and sporting.
Shooting, loading, collecting and historical study.

Moderator: Aughnanure

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

ARDESA IN LINE

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Target shot last Wednesday, 50 mtrs open sights.
15 rounds without cleaning - no fowling build up.

HOWEVER, it took me an hour of very heavy work using a hammer to remove the breech plug (which is meant to be removed for cleaning)
I had coated the thread with copper grease (used on disc brake pads to stop them squeaking) but it didn't work.

Next time I intend to use either Graphite or White choke tube grease and see if that helps.............unless someone has a better idea. :)
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
belgmart
Contributing Member

Re: ARDESA IN LINE

Post by belgmart » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:48 pm

Teflon tape - a few turns. Works pretty well indeed.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:31 am

While exploring this problem I looked on the Traditions website and cam across this answer to FAQ's

Traditions™ Performance Firearms FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions: Details
Useful facts & information about Traditions Firearms.

#24 What if my breech plug is stuck in my In-Line muzzleloader?

The most common cause of a stuck or difficult to remove breech plug in an In-Line Muzzleloader is powder fouling or corrosion in the threads. To remove stubborn breech plugs, use a water-base solvent/cleaner (A1435 Easy Clean, A1295 WonderLube 1000 PlusTM) to penetrate and soften the powder fouling. Plug the nipple with a rubber or leather patch between the nipple and hammer. Fill the barrel with solvent, and allow time for the solvent to works its way into the threads of the breech plug. When trying to remove the breech plug after soaking, it may be necessary to secure the barrel (in a vice) to prevent movement and remove the breech plug. Using a back and forth movement with the breech plug wrench handle during the unscrewing of the breech plug will often speed up the process of removal. Thoroughly clean and lubricate the breech plug and barrel threads before re-assembly. If you still cannot remove your breech plug after performing these steps, please call or email our Customer Service Department.

QUESTION:- Any suggestions for a solvent that I can get here in France? I can get Napier Black Powder Solvent at 24€! Maybe just windscreen wash and water?
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
belgmart
Contributing Member

Post by belgmart » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:12 am

Duncan,

Teflon tape - you won't need any solvents, the breeck plug will come loose easily. The best BP solvent is water, anyway. The rest is just there for upping the price... They kinda say that themselves too.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:20 pm

belgmart wrote:Duncan,

Teflon tape - you won't need any solvents, the breeck plug will come loose easily. The best BP solvent is water, anyway. The rest is just there for upping the price... They kinda say that themselves too.
Yes, although the additive is a 'wetting' agent, much like detergent in a soap powder or liquid which 'thins' the water . If I remember my science correctly detergent molecules have a water loving end and a water hating end. The water hating buries itself in the dirt on your clothes and the water loving end lifts it off the clothing and suspends it in the washing water.
That's from a study of Soap and Detergent I did for my Science GCE in 1964 :cool: :cool:

Anyway, Teflon tape it is next time and we will see.
Duncan

blackisler
Moderator Sponsor 1911,12,13,14,15,16

Post by blackisler » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:03 pm

Duncan I will take my Ardessa over with me and take some of Henry Kranks finest for you to try , I have shot 30 + rounds without fouling and the breech plug was easy to remove .
Robert
:SCO:
live life for today as tomorrow may never come