New Air Rifle

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

New Air Rifle

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:11 am

Yes, I know it's not a firearm but Air powered weapons have an important place in the shooting world. Most of us probably started shooting with one and I suspect still own one or two.

Currently I have 4, two rifles, a pistol and a 'soft air' pistol but this is primarily about my new rifle - A BSA Lightening SE in .177. It is a break barrel springer as I find that I can't cock underlever actions because of the problem I have with my upper arm strength.

I have fitted a Meopta Artemis 2000 4 x 32 on a SportsMatch rail and I must say, I am impressed with the whole system.

I Decided to Zero it at the range yesterday and shot about 40 pellets, bench sitting supported - Diabolo Baracuda extra heavy 10.2 grain - with the following results.......

These were shot using one of the ranges tables which are not really for resting on, more for putting your gun down on but now I have it zeroed at 25 mtrs I shall work on tightening the group in my garden.

At 30 mtrs this rifle will punch clean holes in 5mm thick plywood so rabbits had better watch out :roll: :roll:

I must say, it is an exceptional piece and very comfortable to shoot............
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
blackisler
Moderator Sponsor 1911,12,13,14,15,16

Re: New Air Rifle

Post by blackisler » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:44 pm

The second group is not too bad
live life for today as tomorrow may never come
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:33 pm

That is a nice looking rig!

I have noticed that they are called rifles even if smooth bore. Not Air Muskets. :?:

Anyway, the rabits are in real trouble!

-ArchFluffy
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:50 pm

Very nice looking rifle. When I was a kid, they were called "pellet guns". A friend had one that
you could pump up, more than it said to and it was quite powerful, a LOT more than my BB gun.
But does the recoil on yours really call for a rubber butt pad?
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:11 pm

I was wondering the same thing ...recoil absorbing? But I got a Crossman .177 that has a black rubber butt pad too. It's so hard I don't think it would absorb whatever recoil there is to absorb.
Attachments
DSC03582.jpg
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Niner Delta wrote:Very nice looking rifle. When I was a kid, they were called "pellet guns". A friend had one that
you could pump up, more than it said to and it was quite powerful, a LOT more than my BB gun.
But does the recoil on yours really call for a rubber butt pad?
Not really Vern, I think it's more a selling point than a recoil pad. Probably cheaper and easier to finish the stock that way than too. Shoots very well though. :)
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
deadin
Site Sponsor 2016

Post by deadin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:59 pm

Nice looking springer!
I've been doing some machine work for a friend that is in to "tuning" spring powered air guns. My job is mainly making some Delrin spring guides that are fitted closer to the interior and exterior dimensions of the spring in an attempt to dampen some of the inherent vibrations. It seems to make quite a difference in grouping.
He is a strong believer in the "artillery hold" for this type of gun. In case you haven't heard of it, here is a link that explains why and how it works: http://www.pyramydair.com/article/The_a ... ne_2009/63

Dean
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:01 am

That is very interesting, better try that next time out, thanks...............
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:55 am

So that's the recoil that doesn't seem like recoil. That's really interesting. But it seems from the link that the butt having a pad or not has nothing to do with what you do about it to let "recoil" work for the shooter.