Uberti "Horseman" 1873 Colt (sort of)

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
Aughnanure

Uberti "Horseman" 1873 Colt (sort of)

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:58 pm

Have just bought a new Uberti "Horseman" Colt replica, but unlike the original this Uberti has a coil main spring and a transfer bar firing mechanism.
The pistol is in the hands of our club armourer as I'm still on my Provisional Licence.

Fired it for the first time last Saturday; beautiful. :D :D

The range officer was a bit doubtful about the rapid fire segment of the match (6 in 5 secs) but I managed the six within the time and scored 3x9, 2x8 and 1x7 for a total of 40 out of 50.
This was strong hand only to fire but I was able to cock with the left hand and hold that hand clear for each shot.

The pistol is just about spot on out of the box, nice crisp let off; 4 and 3/4 inch barrel in .357Magnum.
I would have preferred .44-40 or .45 Colt but under our peculiar laws I'm not allowed those less powerful rounds in a pistol. I was going to get it in .32-20 so as to have it for black powder matches as well but then I found out that the .357 qualifies as a black powder round.
Presumably because it's based on the .38 Special which was apparently black originally.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Uberti "Horseman" 1873 Colt (sort of)

Post by Niner » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:43 pm

Congratulations on the addition. Looks like the Uberti 1873 Horseman is the same pistol.
http://www.uberti.com/1873-horseman-revolver

I got a Colt copy in .357 that looks a lot like it. It was Italian made too.. but by Fillipetta and probably a bit less quality than yours like yours is more like a Cadillac to my Chevy .. and sold as a "Rough Rider" by Heritage MFG in Miami.

You need to get a holster for fun if you don't already have one. Maybe a Buscadero style like the old cowboys in the pictures. Do your own reloads with all lead bullets and carry the cartridges in the belt.

Mine is only so so accurate. It shoots better if you point it and get a feel for where the shot is hitting rather than "aiming". Kind of hard to explain what I mean.
Attachments
DSC05309.jpg
DSC05310.jpg
DSC05311.jpg
DSC05312.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:06 pm

That's cool Niner, even has the leather straps to tie the bottom of the holster to your leg.
So do you quick draw with your right hand and use your left to "fan" the hammer, in order to
knock all the tin cans off the fence rail. That's how they do it in the movies..... :mrgreen:
Actually, can you hold the trigger in and keep firing with the hammer, or do you need to release
the trigger to fire again? I always wanted a cowboy gun, but would probably shoot my foot..... :shock:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:38 pm

I don't do any fast draw....afraid I might shoot myself in the leg or something.

The pistol is single action. You have to thumb the hammer back before pulling the trigger each time...unless you do the fanning thing. You could hold down the trigger and "fan" the hammer and it would probably work. Never actually tried it with live amunition.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:00 pm

I was brought up on single action pistols, my first one was a square back trigger guard Navy Colt then i progressed to more 'modern' later model Navies.
We did fan occasionally, just for fun, but it's a hopelessly inaccurate way compared to other techniques; but then I ain't Clint Eastwood (nor do I have an Italian director :lol: :lol: ).
My first BL revolver, of note, was an 1873 Colt in .455 British and I used it in competition as well as a sometimes carry gun.
In matches where a two hand hold is allowed I keep the trigger down and slip the hammer with the left thumb as the sights align, I've always found that I got better results this way rather than cocking and squeezing off as normal.

Eoin.
M14man
Sustaining Member

Post by M14man » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:41 pm

I also have a Uberti, 4 3/4" barrel. It is chambered in 44 Magnum. That is way too much for my wrists, but loaded down with .44 Specials, or to Special velocity, it is a honey. It has the flat spting like the Colt.
%Uberti Cattleman -44.JPG
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:14 am

M14 man,

That looks just like mine except for the brass straps, they're well made and stronger than the originals.

Niner,

That's a nice rig, but I usually have used a flap holster,having no need for a quick draw.
When I carried concealed, except for a brief love affair with a front break shoulder holster (leather stained white shirts :mad:), I tucked them into my waist belt, although I did sometimes use an open top leather holster.

Speaking of shooting oneself in the leg, my friend, the late Lynton McKenzie (of gun engraving fame) had a .36 Manhattan and had made himself a nice holster with, fortunately, a very heavy back.
The pistol went off as he was drawing it, the ball skidded along the heavy back, missed his foot and left a large bruise as a reminder to cock after clearing the leather and coming up on the target :shock: :shock:

Eoin.