S&W .38

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

S&W .38

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:04 am

I got this pistol from my Dad, who got it from my Mom's Dad, at least I think that's way it went.
Anyway, I have always wanted to have the Smith & Wesson historian research the history of the pistol.
They charge $50 is why I never got around to doing it, until now. Just got the report back and am a
little disappointed in what I got for my $50. The only thing in the report that I didn't already know
is the date it left the factory and where it went. They gave the name of the company and I had to
look it up online. I already knew the model name and serial number and that it was the 86th one made
in that series, etc. That info I found with a little online research, and the guys here.
Found out it went to McLennan & McFeely, a large hardware store in Vancouver, B.C. Canada. That
didn't surprise me as that is just across the border from where my Grandpa was from, in the Snohomish
area, north of Seattle. So somehow the pistol made it across the border and my Grandpa ended up with it.
Check out the report and do you think I got $50 worth or was I expecting too much.

Attachments
smith wesson.jpg
1.JPG
2.JPG
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Re: S&W .38

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:48 am

Well I think you got good value Vern, you now have irrefutable proof of it's origin. :)
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:04 am

You did good. It's a family heirloom to be passed down through the generations. Just think.. maybe a hundred years from now one of your great grandchildren will pull out that piece of paper with your name on it and you, as their great grandpa, will be attached to the history in a very real way to them. Unless... some well meaning elected officials decide to take all the handguns away to keep Americans safe.....like what happened to our friends over the pond.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:16 pm

And I was surprised how fast they were, I mailed the form on 4-4-13 and they printed the letter on 4-18-16.
When I filled out the form, it said the waiting time was 2 to 3 months.
You all are right, now I have proof of its origin. Just wish I could find more info on how it ended up in my family.
But those that knew are all dead, now it's just a mystery, once again I should have asked more questions while
the family elders were still alive. I should have asked more questions about a lot of family things and history..... :(

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:38 am

'Twas ever thus Vern :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:42 am

I agree it was worth the money, it's a nice little extra touch to pass on to the family along with the revolver Vern.
Thanks for sharing,
Joe