AIA M10A1

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
joseyclosey

AIA M10A1

Post by joseyclosey » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:40 pm

This bolt action carbine turned up at the range today. Its in 7.62X39, with a 10 round AK mag and Weaver scope. It has very attractive woodwork and was a real pleasure to shoot. Not as nice as a No. 5 but still a very nice looking and good handling rifle.

Check out the pics.

Joe

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/j ... orr001.jpg[/pic]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/j ... orr003.jpg[/pic]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/j ... orr002.jpg[/pic]
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:35 am

Never seen one but have heard mainly positive things said about them.

Main negative seems to be the pricing and a feeding problem with the ones sold in the US.

Are they readily available in the UK or is this a one off ? If available what is the pricing if known ?
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:59 pm

This one came via the "Gunrunners" but Sabre Defence Industries are currently advertising them at £495, reduced from £669.

This is the only one i have seen, so maybe they are`nt too popular.

Joe
gunguy56

Post by gunguy56 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:36 pm

These rifles are made in Communist Vietnam. The ones imported here to the USA by TriStar of St Louis, Missouri were brought in , as I understand it, as having been made in Australia. When the FED BATF found out the true country of origin, future imports were cancelled. I've got one on layaway-picking it up this week. Had to pay $600 for it-a little pricey, but a very unique take-off on the old No. 4 Enfield with several improvements and the commie caliber. Also made in another version in 7.62 x 51 NATO. Should become a collector's item in the USA anyhow...
stripperclip
Leading Member

Post by stripperclip » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:14 am

I've read the stuff on them from an aussie article and seen the website but didn't know that they had made it to the states they seem a bit to costly for me.
stripperclip
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:48 pm

When they initially hit the shops in Australia they were $800-$900AUD ($600-670USD/340-380GBP). Which is why they didn't sell well, as a Winchester/Remington/Howa etc in .308/.223 could be had for much the same price. If they are 669 GBP ($1600AUD) then it doesn't sound like a volume import does it ?
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
gunguy56

AIA M10 Rifle

Post by gunguy56 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:16 pm

I thought they were priced a little high myself. However, I like unique firearms, and a takeoff on the old warhorse Enfield that takes 7.62 x 39-now that's unique!!! By the way, the teak stock is real pretty and I like the scope rail that attaches to the front and rear receiver bridges-no more mickey-mouse scope mounts. It's a shame old names like Ithaca and Winchester firearms are out- of/ going out -of- business, and imports are taking over the gun business in the United States. Anyhow, I'll let you guys know next week about the gun's functioning/ accuracy after I take it to the range for a workout. Picking it up FRIDAY 2/24/06. Stay tuned....
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:20 am

Made in Vietnam, now thats interesting to know, i thought they were Australian manufacture too.

Looking forward to your report/impressions Gunguy.

Joe
gunguy56

AIA M10 rifle test report

Post by gunguy56 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:16 am

Picked my M10 up off of layaway and went to the range..The good news is that it is accurate-2" groups at 100 yards with WOLF 122 gn HP's-using a 3-9X scope set at 9x off a good rest/bench. Ejects fine. Extracts fine. However, the bad news: Won't feed worth a sh-- from the AK mag setup. There is no controlled round feeding-the extractor doesn't pickup the case rim groove until the cartridge has been fully chambered. Out of a 10-rd mag, maybe 1 was fed into the chamber without a hitch. Sometimes the bolt,( which has a recessed face, plunger inset ejector, and sliding claw extractor set at 12 0'clock on the boltface), slides over the round in the mag-other times it starts the round out of the mag only to pop up and not enter the chamber. Other times the bolt will start the round out of the mag and then slide over the round half-out of the mag. I've found info on other sites about the rifle too. The US Importer refuses to honor the warranty and won't fix any rifles returned to it. One guy reports he returned his three times and no work was ever done. The importer, Tri-Star, has just recently revised their website and deleted any reference to this weapon. Well, I've got a single-shot weapon: leaving an empty AK mag in the magwell, I toss a round on top of the follower and the bolt pushes it home every time. If I had wanted a single-shot rifle, I could have bought a Ruger #1 !!! The rifle lacks some R&D work for sure. Wish those Vietnamese idiots had left it in .303 Brit caliber, and then it would have been a real winner. As it is, it's a POS !! Great teak wood, park finish, neat muzzle-break, chrome bore, however. Mine has the Monte-Carlo stock, and the neat scope rail. The gun is about 90%-the 10% of remaining R&D just was never completed. Guess the Viet designer gave up in frustration and went back to the rice paddy farm.....
warner520

AUSTRALIAN MADE FIREARMS

Post by warner520 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:07 am

No firearms for public use are allow to be made in australia , and sold to australian , this is why they are made overseas . and imported into austraila and other parts of the world , i think they cost to much .