Combination gun ?

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Combination gun ?

Post by Woftam » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:50 pm

Have a mate who's getting out of shooting and offering me first crack at his gear.

Currently he's offering me a Tikka combination gun. 12g over .222 with a chamber adaptor for .22LR. At some stage (in the distant future) we will do a bit of travelling/camping around Australia and this sounds like an idea gun to take. Especially since it breaks down for transport and doesn't look like a rifle in its case.

Anyone have any experience with these ? Are they a viable option ? I know Tikka is well thought of but you don't see many of these for sale here. In fact I can only find 2 on the 'net.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:55 pm

No personal experience but haven't heard any bad news about them.

Seems like a good combination. A few blokes around here have their bolt action rifles.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:28 pm

VERY common combination here, as well as 2 x rifle and 1 shotgun barrel on one piece!

I would say if it is a TIKKA you just can't go wrong.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

MERKEL 96

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:56 am

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f392/ ... AYOUTS.jpg[/pic]

Thought this might interest you. Top price for a Block drilled 96KS with the top engraving is 9675€ / A$15,578 / US$14,100.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:18 am

Nice; I just ordered a consecitivly numbered pair, cased of course. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
stripperclip
Leading Member

Post by stripperclip » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:32 am

never handled a tikka but I shoot my friends savage 24 which is a 30-30 over a 12 gauge and it's not bad for hunting he does well with it every year.
stripperclip
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:58 pm

Thanks for the input gents. The sticking point at the moment is the rifle calibre. Having the option of .22LR by adding the adaptor is nice but I feel the .222 is a little light. I've hunted pigs with a .222 but I stick to the smaller ones, wouldn't like to take on something large with a .222.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:29 pm

After much deliberation I passed on the Tikka. Now he's offering me another rifle that is more my line, but I have a bit on so I'll think about it.