My first M95

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
358Apollo

My first M95

Post by 358Apollo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:32 am

I finally bought a M95. On veterans day I stopped in at Big5 and found this M95 on sale for $69.00. I looked at a few and picked this one because it was the only one marked "Budapest M95" on the receiver. From my research I found out it has Czech markings and was made in 1917. I bought 50rds of ammo ( Some nazi ,some hungarian) and four en bloc clips. Can't wait to shoot it. I heard stories of flames and thunder just like my Nagant. :D [/pic]
Attachments
m95r2s.jpg
m95rs.jpg
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
Niner
Site Admin

Welcome to the MAH 358Apollo

Post by Niner » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:40 am

For the money the M95 is probably the best milsurp value today. Hope you get a thrill out of shooting it.... I know you will get a kick...because mine has as much felt recoil as any other milsurp I own.

I'm surprised at the mention of the en block clips as though they were acquired as a separate thing. All of the 8x56r that I have seen comes on clips to start with. But I do lead a sheltered life. Maybe there are some rounds not on clips, what do I know?

I suspect your research has told you that the sight leaf requires that the slide be lifted up to show the 300 yard v notch. With the slide down you will be looking at 600 yards...or is that meters? Whatever, just wanted to make sure you were aware.

One last really important thing. Be sure the butt of the carbine is planted firmly into the shoulder pocket when you fire, otherwise you will feel the kick.

It will be a hoot to fire it. Let us know about the experience.
Attachments
sight.jpg
can.jpg
358Apollo

Post by 358Apollo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:23 pm

Thanks niner, I am thinking of using a slip-on recoil pad when I shoot it. I don't mind recoil. I just bought a Ruger No.1 chambered for .458 Lott. Now thats recoil.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:44 pm

Welcome 358Appolo. Nice piece of kit
PeterN2

8x56R on clips

Post by PeterN2 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:10 pm

None of the 8x56R I have seen here in the UK is on clips. It is in 10 round paper packets in a 250 round tin or loose rounds in a cardboard box of 150 rounds. I have had to get my clips seperately, mostly from Gunparts Corp in the USA.

$69 for a rifle is damn near free. It would cost at least three times the price in the UK.

It looks to be a very nice rifle, well done on the purchase 358Apollo. Let us know how it shoots.

Regards

Peter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/ ... Rstash.jpg[/pic]
358Apollo

Post by 358Apollo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:51 am

Peter, I had to buy my clips. Ammo is getting harder to find so I bought some bulk ammo and I am not sure if clips came with them. I am planning on reloading so ammo should not be a problem. I build wildcats so I have to reload. I just finished a Mauser build. Take a look. I'll post a range report soon.
Attachments
Drachen8s.JPG
Drachen9s.JPG