M44 7.62X54Rwith a nice clean barrel and blued metal

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
oldironsights
Sustaining Member

Post by oldironsights » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:28 am

afish4570, why not just shoot five or ten quick rounds out of her, then clean her while still hot?

That always works for me even with the most rusty & pitted bores.
If You Can Read This, Thank A Teacher!
If You Can Read This In English, Thank A Veteran!

Help save this retired fighting ship from the scrapyard;
http://www.ussorleck.org
afish4570

M44 barrel still dirty

Post by afish4570 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:56 pm

Can't find my 30 cal SS brush and do hate to use it for the fear of scratching bore. So I soaked in in PB Blaster a supposedly great penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench that someone suggested on the Cast Boolit forum. Did that with a wet patch after scrubbing with a 8mm (oversized brush) and will check later this evening or this am. Patches are not as black as they were earlier. If I use the lead removal cloth(G96) that seems to scuff up bore and really turn patches black. Don't think I will shoot any jacketed ammo thru this gun as the saga is just too much.....When Ido stry my cast bullet load thru it I will soak with a wet patch after swabbing out barrel with a apatch or two.afish4570

:!: :!:
afish4570

M44 Dirty Barrel Saga is on going......

Post by afish4570 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:09 pm

Soaked the last few days with Kroil,Hoppes Elite, and tonight its Hoppes Bench Rest Copper Solvent. When brushed patches are still coming out black, not quite as bad when I started but bad enough. When my next order is placed I'll order an 8mm or 30 cal SS brush and see what that loosens up. No hurry, lots to do,pistol shooting (IDPA type) at local club Tues...afish4570 :roll:
oldironsights
Sustaining Member

Re: M44 Dirty Barrel Saga is on going......

Post by oldironsights » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:03 am

afish4570 wrote:Soaked the last few days with Kroil,Hoppes Elite, and tonight its Hoppes Bench Rest Copper Solvent. When brushed patches are still coming out black, not quite as bad when I started but bad enough. When my next order is placed I'll order an 8mm or 30 cal SS brush and see what that loosens up. No hurry, lots to do,pistol shooting (IDPA type) at local club Tues...afish4570 :roll:
afish4570, I think you would be pleased at the results if you fired ten quick rounds through your M44 & cleaned it while HOT!

You would be very surprised what the shock of shooting will loosen & how well cleaning chemicals work while hot or very warm.
If You Can Read This, Thank A Teacher!
If You Can Read This In English, Thank A Veteran!

Help save this retired fighting ship from the scrapyard;
http://www.ussorleck.org
afish4570

m44 Dirty Barrel Saga

Post by afish4570 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:44 am

Thanks for the tip again. Too much snow to get to range and waiting for a thaw. My rifle club did't plow anything except an area at the club house.....However I was going to make this a cast bullet only rifle and scrub the bore meticulously and then not pollute the barrel with condum boolits. If I shoot lead over the fouling I would think the fouling would be more difficult to remove???afish4570 :oops: :oops: