John Hill double shotgun

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
mac60

John Hill double shotgun

Post by mac60 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Perhaps someone from U.K. could offer some insight as to what exactly I have, even a wild guess as to possible value would be interesting also. The gun is 10 ga., barrels are 32 inches. Gun is marked on both sides with JO
s Hill. The gun is marked on the barrel rib "london fine damascus" . There are two proofmarks on each barrel under the forend. It is also marked with what looks like the number 11 and the number 9212 (which I assume is the serial number). When I first saw the gun I thought the JO. s Hill would be Joseph Hill, but I couldn't turn up anything associated with Joseph Hill. A little research turned up a gunmaker named John Hill who made guns in London at 76 Tooley street from 1825 to 1856. A trade directory from London dated 1841 included a Mr. John Hill - gunmaker at that address. I'm afraid the gun is a little worse for the wear. Very little of the original finish remains and the checkering is worn smooth. However, all parts are there and the gun is fully functional. Alltogether a fascinating piece. I wish I had more resources available to me to research the gun, but I'm lacking a little there. Any feedback would be appreciated. :GBR:
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: John Hill double shotgun

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Can't help with it Mac but if you could post some photographs of it with close-up details it might help. We LOVE photos on here :D :D
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:22 pm

Mac,

As Duncan says, we love photos; the '11' will be the true gauge probably.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
mac60

Post by mac60 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:24 pm

My camera has given up the ghost. Working on a replacement. Please bear with me. :oops:
mac60

Post by mac60 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:17 pm

http://tinypic.com/m/8vycrt/2

Hope these help. mac
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:50 am

Just 'borrowed it and tweeked the image a bit :cool:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.