M1 Carbine Stock for the Ruger 10/22 REVIEW

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
Candyman
Contributing Member

M1 Carbine Stock for the Ruger 10/22 REVIEW

Post by Candyman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:19 pm

Last week, I was asked to do a review by a member on another forum, on the M1 Carbine stock that he is selling for the Ruger 10/22. I told him I would do a review without any sugar coating, but would do it from four points of view. Two points of view will be by me, as someone who works on stocks and a milsurp collector. The third point of view will be by a friend who collects guns of all types and the fourth will be from my twelve year old son's point of view.

This is my review as someone who works on stocks.

The stock I received is one with a dark stain finish. He also offers one with a clear blonde finish.

The stock is made of a tight grain Beech wood. It has a nice red stain that is sprayed on. The finish looks good but it tends to scratch easily.

The cut of the stock and the inlay are well done, and the rifle drops into the stock very easily. The only problem I found on the stock that was sent to me is the hole for the action screw was slightly offset, but I was still able to get the screw in place and tighten the action in the stock. The handguard is not as wide as the stock but very close.

The handguard is held on by a machine screw at the left rear of the handguard. There is a barrel nut that is recessed in the left side of the stock and pinned in place for the screw to secure the handguard to the stock. The barrel band secures the handguard at the front of the stock. The screw and barrel band hold the handguard firmly in place and there should be no problem with it coming off. There is a cutout for the rear sight in the handguard but it's very hard to see the factory sight.

As someone who works on stocks, I would say that overall, it is a well made stock.

My review from a milsurp collector's point of view.

The stock is cut very close to the M2 potbelly stock and from a distance, it's very easy to mistake it for a M1 Carbine. With the rifle mounted in the stock, it feels and points very similar to the M1 Carbine, but is slightly heavier.

The sling slot and oiler cutout in the buttstock are just like on an original stock and the M1 Carbine Sling and Oiler can be used on a stock.

There are only three things I find that would not appeal to milsurp collectors is the rear screw in the handguard, the front sling swivel, and the butt plate.

The rear screw on the handguard is something that can be looked over because it is needed to secure the handguard in place.

The front sling swivel being mounted in the stock is the one thing on the stock I really do not like. I wish the swivel would've been mounted to the barrel band.
The buttplate does note look like the original but it is something that I could live with.

Overall, it is a very nice looking stock. The only way to get a stock closer to the M1 Carbine would be to modify an original stock to fit the 10/22.

Review by my friend and gun owner:

My friend, Ken, has been buying guns for a very long time. He does his own gunsmithing and just loves tinkering with guns. I brought the stock and a 10/22 rifle to his house yesterday. Ken looked at the stock and thought that it was very well made. He liked the color of it and said that the blonde finish stock would look very nice.

I let Ken switch out the stocks which he found was very easy. He said that he liked the way the swing swivel was attached to the front of the stock, and he liked the buttplate. He said the buttplate and the swivel looked like the ones on the AK47.

Ken pointed out that the barrel nut in the stock that the handguard screw goes into looked a little large and that a smalller one may have been better. He also said that the barrel band had some burrs on the edge that he would clean up to avoid scratching the finish on the stock.

If Ken had to describe the stock in one word, it would be COOL. Ken said it was a great stock and that he might get him one to put on his 10/22.

My twelve year old son's point of view:

My son really liked the stock, and said that everyone should get one. He said it looks just like an M1 Carbine.

My son is one of those that tells you if he likes or does not like something, there is no middle of the road with him.

So, all in all I would have to say, that I like this little stock. On a scale from 1-10, I give it an 8
If anyone would like to get one of these I can get you his contact info.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: M1 Carbine Stock for the Ruger 10/22 REVIEW

Post by Niner » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:42 am

Looks ok to me. I know there must be more aftermarket stocks and barrels and other assorted stuff out there to make the 10/22 something other than what it comes as than probably any other firearm that has ever been made. Took some photos of my stock 10/22 with my Universal M1 carbine just for fun. I don't get the need for that long slash of an opening in the .22 stock in the new stock replacement.
Attachments
side.jpg
top.jpg
band.jpg
butt.jpg
Candyman
Contributing Member

Post by Candyman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:24 pm

The gap in the handguard on the right side of the stock is the same as the M1 Carbine.
If a pice of black plastic is used to fill this area, it would look like it had a charging handle like the M1 Carbine.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:00 pm

Yep. Guess you are right. The Universal model I got doesn't have that actual "real" feature so I guess the stock for the .22 does look more like the real thing....kinda, sorta.
Candyman
Contributing Member

Post by Candyman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:27 am

My Iver Johnson M1 22 Carbine in 22 LR does not have the gap in the handguard.

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:33 pm

While at the grocery story today I passed by the magazine rack and there was this magazine on the M1, M1 Carbine, M14, M1a andMini-14. One of the G&A republish overpriced special issue mags. This magazine has reproduced articles from as far back as the early 60's. And one of the pieces states that the early carbines had only the handguards cut away for op-rod relief but then there was a change to "high wood", a narrow gap in the wood over the op-rod, and then still later a change to "low wood" versions with a wider gap cut into the handguard to "allow the op-rod greater freedom of movement". Hmm.... I learn something new all the time.
Attachments
M1magazine.jpg
ScanImage001.jpg
Dragonflydf

Post by Dragonflydf » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:57 pm

I did that several years ago with a Charter Arms AR-7.
Here is a thread on a site about it.
http://www.arizonashooting.com/v3/viewt ... =8&t=68922