Mossberg

This forum is for all other rifles and hand guns that we have an interest in. They need not be of military origin nor C&R.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Mossberg

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:45 pm

Went to a gun show this weekend looking for a small caliber rifle that is easier on my pinched neck nerve, not like my Nagants. Ouch.
So I find this Mossberg Chuckster 640KA .22 Magnum with a Tasco 3-9X32 scope. It's in excellent shape and appears to only be a few years old. There is only one match-head size ding in the stock and the only missing blue is at the very tip if the barrel for about half an inch. Even has a semi-decent sling, with the wrong initials. :mrgreen:
This is just what I've been looking for. So I give him $220 for the rifle and 2 boxes of .22 Magnum hollowpoints.
Get home and start doing some research on the rifle, and find out is between 42 and 51 years old. Mossberg only made the 640KA between 1959 and 1968 and it has no serial number because Mossberg didn't put serial numbers on them until the US passed a law in 1968 requiring them.
I am stunned at the shape of this rifle for being that age, later I found others for sale on internet that looked like crap and more money.
From what I read, this is a very accurate and reliable rifle. The Chuckster name comes from it being an excellent varmint gun, maybe it will work on my neighbors cat. :cool:
I'm very happy with this and will be even happier if I can get bullets to come out the little end of it. :mrgreen:
Do any of you have one of these and how do you like it ?
Hopefully going to range next week with this and my new (to me) Nagant m1895 pistol.
I love gun show buys, no checking, no wait, no paperwork, and you take it home with you!!

Vern.
Attachments
PICT0816.JPG
PICT0817.JPG
PICT0818.JPG
PICT0819.JPG
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Re: Mossberg

Post by Karl/Pa. » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:59 pm

Ya done good. Congrats.
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:34 pm

One of the first thing I noticed was that the scope was too far forward and very awkward to get a good sighting through the scope. This came up several times during my research on the rifle and the suggested (about the only) solution is offset scope rings. So I bought a set of BLK offset rings and that cured the problem. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Vern.
Attachments
PICT0821 - Copy.JPG
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
biganimal
Contributing Member

Post by biganimal » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:45 pm

you have one of the finest rifles ever built , in my humble opinion.
I grew up shooting for fun and food a mossberg 640K chuckster in 22 mag
damn accurate firearm and easy on the arms toting it through the woods.
I'd have to say that that old chuckster killed hundreds of squirrels , bunnies, and when hunger was more important than being legal, whitetail deer. :oops:

I never had any problem using standard rings to mount a scope but the eyes were much younger then. :shock:

I sold that gun to a friend many years ago and have regretted it since. But he was smart enough to keep it. He has it still today.
I paid $49 for it and sold it to him for $100 almost 10 yrs ago.
rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:11 am

Very nice! Beautiful classic lines.
I've been a big fan of Mossberg since I bought a 12 ga bolt action shotgun back in the early 60's. The local pawn shop had one in 410 with that big choke on the muzzle, but it got away before I could scrape up the cash.
There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
Winston Churchill
Member: VFW, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, Society of the 5th Infantry Division