The latest mass murder is sickening

This is the place for thoughts that you want to share about nearly anything that comes to mind. Politics is ok as well. All notions and opinions are the view of the poster and not this site. Just remain civil in whatever you wish to express.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

The latest mass murder is sickening

Postby Niner » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:45 pm

The latest mass murder is sickening enough without all the judgmental political comment that will surely follow and proliferate. Admittedly it is a sad state of affairs in our society today when crazy people plot to mass murder like it was some kind of game of horrors scoring contest. And ... the anti gun people will be quick to pen their remarks lamenting the existence of gun owners and casting public blame even as all the blood on the street is not mopped up yet.

Here's a California Congressman lamenting in the liberal UK based Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rol-choice

You can bet the TV news will tell us everything there is to know about the shooter....all of them from both the left and the right and even the middle, if there is a middle, and they will be including, as they already have, that his dad was a bank robber and suspected insane person.... as though the cause had to be genetic. But.. the guy got to be in his 60's without any legal problem more significant than a traffic ticket. He was an accountant...not a pimp,stick up man or a cop... and never had served in the military even. He...so far as is known now... wasn't a member of some radical group and nobody has produced some mental case history. So what kind of gun law could be enacted that would make everything right...outside of banning all guns?

I think the news media inspires the crazy killers. The next one will see this latest and think... see.. you get famous killing innocent people.. the more you kill the more famous. Everybody knows his name and his history. Thanks to microscopic news coverage publicly broadcast to the world he is now infamous. He went out with ultimate notoriety. And the next crazy with a personal death wish takes note and thinks about it and maybe is encouraged to do something like.

If the news would never tell the shooters name or his history and just bury the crazy in an unmarked grave........ it would be a better course of action in discouraging this heinous kind of thing in the future.....at least more so than banning weapons like our friends in Europe get burdened with.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: The latest mass murder is sickening

Postby DuncaninFrance » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:29 am

It clogged our news channels all day..................
A very sad event and I noticed that Trump sent everyone his 'Heartfelt condolences' :roll:

Must have pissed Kim Jong-un off no end!
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:10 am

Thing that I wonder about.....
Authorities found 23 guns, including a handgun, in the hotel room of the gunman, identified earlier by police as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock. At least some were equipped with scopes, devices that help the shooter identify targets at a range, police said.

And he took them to the 32nd floor of this hotel. So... nobody in the elevator noticed? Did a bellhop help him? If he had been in the room a couple of days did the room service maid notice anything.....like enough guns for 23 people and only one wet towel?
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:26 pm

The "news" said he had been staying in the hotel room for a few days, and had used many suitcases to
bring in the rifles. Did no one below notice the falling glass from the window he broke out??

This is a quote from the AP.......
"Paddock had 23 guns — some with scopes — in his hotel room, authorities said. They found two gun stocks that allow
the shooter to replicate fully automatic fire, and are investigating whether weapons used in the massacre had those modifications,"

Yes, we all know that gun stocks equal automatic fire..... :roll:
How do you "replicate" automatic fire, it either is or isn't automatic fire...... :roll:
The videos I saw (and heard) had full auto sounds, so pretty sure they "had those modifications".......duh.

And this is just the beginning, the stupid bullshit is just going to get deeper and deeper.......... :evil:
It's a sad and horrible event, but how do you stop a crazy guy when nobody knows he's crazy??

Vern.

:USA:

Aughnanure

Postby Aughnanure » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:10 am

London had 881 acid attacks over the last three years (no figures for 2017 yet), 454 of them last year.

London doesn't seem to be a safe place.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Well, it looks like I need to backpedal on my previous statement about gun stocks.
I was aware of bump fire and have even tried (and failed) to use the finger in the belt loop
bump fire on my ARs. But I was not aware there are stocks specifically made for bump fire, even
though they have been around for several years. Guess I should keep up.
Did some online checking and most of the makers websites are not taking orders or shut down
completely. The big online gun sites all seem to be 'out of stock', however there are more than
150 for sale on Gunbroker. Most range from about $300 to $700 (and up) for stocks that sold for less than
$200 last week. The video says they retail for $400, I guess they mean this week.
I certainly wouldn't buy one now, my guess is they are the first thing the gun control crowd will
try to get banned, followed by hi-cap mags.

The link is to a video that explains how they work, as I wasn't sure. I knew how bump fire worked,
but not exactly how the stock worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6oaRAgdslE

Vern.

Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Dianne Feinstein flew down on her broomstick today and was quick to offer a bill to ban the bump stock from the market. Hardly something anybody on the gun friendly side would care to draw a line in the sand over...as Vern's link pointed out. However, stay tuned for some real anti gun legislation.
Aughnanure

Postby Aughnanure » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:34 am

They may well ban bump stocks but what will they ban shoelaces?

Shoelaces work very well on semi-auto long arms that have fixed cocking handles.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Postby DuncaninFrance » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:40 am

As do paperclips on FAL's I am informed :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Looks like even the NRA thinks the bump stocks can go.......

Vern.

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”