Watch battery back replacement made easy

This is the place for thoughts that you want to share about nearly anything that comes to mind. Politics is ok as well. All notions and opinions are the view of the poster and not this site. Just remain civil in whatever you wish to express.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Watch battery back replacement made easy

Postby Niner » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:11 am

Recently I had to replace the battery in a favorite watch. Getting the back off wasn't too bad a chore and replacing the battery was a snap. The problem came when trying to get the back on again....no snap at all. I had to take it to a jewelry store and pay a small fee. Then later, when I mentioned the battery replacement, my daughter told me about a back replacement tool you could get from Amazon for about $15 or $16 ...or even less with plenty of choices that all look like the same thing coming from the same Chinese factory with different "brand" names. They are all over ebay as well for any price you want to pay from dirt cheap to ridiculously high.

It came yesterday from Amazon and I tried it out on an old Kodak watch I got in 1996 when Kodak sponsored the 100th anniversary of the new era Olympics. It cost all of $4.95 and 20 film box codes at the time. Real leather strap and Japanese movement. Not all that valuable though, I saw one on ebay for $7 plus another $5 or $6 shipping....but no guarantee that that one will work that I could see.

Well.... I had an extra watch battery. The press worked easy as pie. Just find the right base wheel and screw on the top press plastic piece. Press handle down gently. Done. Watch is ticking away and keeping good time.... at least for the last ten minutes or so.
Attachments
one.jpg
two.jpg
three.jpg
face.jpg
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Watch battery back replacement made easy

Postby DuncaninFrance » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:33 am

Ha..I just found the same tool on Amazon UK. Lowest price £6 highest £86 :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:00 pm

I had batteries replaced in 2 watches this year, one with a threaded back like yours and one with
4 tiny screws. Local jewelry store charged $10 each time, and that included the battery.
For only $10, I couldn't afford to mess with them....... :mrgreen:
And if that wasn't good enough, the woman that changed the batteries is very easy on the eyes.... :cool:

:USA:
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:22 pm

You are probably right on the not particularly cost efficient until you have put the back on a few watches. However..... I think of it as "reloading" equipment for a 1996 $5 watch. :loco:
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:07 pm

I know what you mean, sometimes it's just more fun to do it yourself........ :mrgreen:

:USA:
M14man
Sustaining Member

Postby M14man » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:58 pm

I just went thru that, could not get the back on. Tempted to use a hammer or a vice.
Finally my tears must have worked because all of a sudden I got it snapped close.
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:03 pm

Found a watch in a draw I hadn't remembered even owning the other day. Since I had some more batteries and the back replacement thing.... another success. Ticking away and keeping time again with the back on. ....Probably just end up back in the drawer. But.... :oops:

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”