As in life, in golf - Donald Trump accused of behaving a fair way off the mark

This is the place for thoughts that you want to share about nearly anything that comes to mind. Politics is ok as well. All notions and opinions are the view of the poster and not this site. Just remain civil in whatever you wish to express.

Moderator: Niner

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

As in life, in golf - Donald Trump accused of behaving a fair way off the mark

Postby DuncaninFrance » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:18 am

Couldn't post a link to this so here it is in all it's glory!! :roll: :roll:

In 1994 Kim Jong-il, the then leader of North Korea, and father of present incumbent Kim Jong-un, played his first ever round of golf. He was opening a course in Pygonyang and, according to official news sources, managed to secure 11 holes in one.

When the magnificently optimistic total was circulated around the world it was greeted with loud guffaws. Nobody, not Jordan Spieth, not Rory McIlroy, not Tiger Woods at his peak, would dare dream of that sort of score. Here, everybody agreed, was classic mad despot behaviour, evidence of institutionalised delusion.

But if Rick Reilly, the respected columnist for Sports Illustrated, is to be believed, old Kim may not have a monopoly on laughably inflated golf scores. Reilly has just published a book about Donald Trump’s relationship with the game. And the title of his meticulously researched examination suggests that the 45th president is not altogether scrupulous when it comes to adhering to golf’s long-established codes. The book is called Commander In Cheat.

American leaders have traditionally had a significant association with the green. Jimmy Carter apart, every president since the start of the 20th century has been an aficionado. And it has long been a habit of American writers to use the game as a litmus test of presidency. After all, as PG Wodehouse put it, the best way to assess a man’s character is to play golf with him. It was through golf we discovered George Bush senior was a tightly buttoned-up East Coast preppie, that Bill Clinton took the same cavalier response to scoring that he did to his marriage certificate, and that Barack Obama played way too often when he really should have been running the country.

Actually, it was Trump who told us that last one. When he was campaigning for the White House, he berated the incumbent for playing too much golf. “Wouldn’t happen on my watch,” he tweeted. Oddly, it has: Trump is in line to smash Woodrow Wilson’s long-standing record for the number of rounds played by a serving president.
But, according to Reilly’s inquiry, that is typical of his attitude to the game: he lies, Reilly claims, about his scores, he lies about his handicap, he lies about the lie of his ball. At one of the courses he frequents, Reilly reveals, having observed him routinely kicking his ball into a better position, the caddies share a nickname for him: they call him “Pele”.

And his game practice extends into his business dealings. He owns courses round the world, including two in Scotland. Here, Reilly claims, he lies about profitability, he lies about membership, he lies about how much money each of his courses donates to charity (generally he says $5 million; Reilly has discovered the figure is invariably zero). In all of his clubhouses, he hangs framed copies of the front cover of Time Magazine from when he was voted its Man of the Year. Just one thing: Reilly points out he has never actually been Time Man of the Year; the pictures are fakes; he is literally decorating his establishments in fraud.
Indeed, reading Reilly’s book the sole conclusion you can draw is that the most powerful man in the world shares many of the attributes of the lunatic former North Korean leader. Except a little bit of digging uncovers that Kim never actually claimed to have scored 11 holes in one. It was an error of translation. In fact he claimed he had scored 11 bogeys (in itself unlikely, admittedly). But since no one in North Korea knew how to fill out a scorecard, instead of one over par, these were entered as a score of one. Which suggests Trump is actually a bigger fantasist than Kim. And if you think that doesn’t really matter consider this: Reilly reports that when Mr President plays these days he is followed by a cart, on which are carried the nuclear codes.
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk
Niner Delta

Re: As in life, in golf - Donald Trump accused of behaving a fair way off the mark

Postby Niner Delta » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:28 pm

He may not be the best President (or the worst), but right now he is the only one we have.
So you may not want to piss him off, remember he does have the codes......... :lol:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Ebeling

Re: As in life, in golf - Donald Trump accused of behaving a fair way off the mark

Postby Ebeling » Thu May 09, 2019 5:44 am

Wait, wasn't he Time Magazine's Person of the Year in 2016?
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Thu May 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Welcome Ebeling. You got a point on Time's man of the year. They only picked him because they were surprised that anybody that tabloid famous and that unpolitically connected could win an election. They didn't pick him because they loved him but because they probably sensed that the fawning press of Obama was going to hit a bump in the road....and that would include Time.

I think we got Trump because nobody wanted Hillary and the Republicans couldn't come up with a real candidate. It's yet to be seen who the next contestants are for ruining the worlds future in some new and frightening ways.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Thu May 09, 2019 4:47 pm

It was always my opinion that more people voted AGAINST Hilary, than voted FOR Trump.....including me.
But I'm ready for the next election, I already have my "Trump in 2020" hat............ :mrgreen:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Thu May 09, 2019 5:53 pm

Well, Vern, I'm ready for a change...I think. Not Joe Biden though.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Sat May 11, 2019 6:00 pm

So far there isn't anyone that I really WANT to see elected, how sad is that........ :(

Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Sat May 11, 2019 6:23 pm

That is a problem now the same as it was in 2016 it seems to me as well. Clearly anyone actually wise enough to be President is also smart enough not to want the job.
DuncaninFrance

Postby DuncaninFrance » Sun May 12, 2019 2:52 am

I think that about sums it up Robert.
Over in the UK however they are like lemmings trying to get rid of May and jump into her shoes............
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”