The price of cigarettes

This is the place for thoughts that you want to share about nearly anything that comes to mind. Politics is ok as well. All notions and opinions are the view of the poster and not this site. Just remain civil in whatever you wish to express.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

The price of cigarettes

Postby Niner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:22 pm

When I gave up smoking cigarettes decades ago they were costing me $5 for a carton of ten packs every week. In New York city today the mayor is behind raising the price by taxes to a minimum of $13 a pack plus more taxes by way of license to the sellers. Needless to say I sold my Philip Morris stock even though plenty of Chinese love those Marlboro cigarettes and Africans love those menthol cigs and as long as foreign markets don't restrict trade everything is probably ducky for the tobacco industry. But in the US.... if you smoke ...if the cancer doesn't get you first the local, state and federal government will do their best to rob you for as long as you last.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 100672190/

Saw this advertisement from a hundred years ago when men were told to smoke this brand because it makes him "care-free", "comfortable", "Sensible". 15 cents a pack...the premium smoke. Notice the advertisement was directed at men. Ladies didn't smoke in those days.... officially. And newspapers and do gooders all over American were raising money to buy smokes for the soldiers going over to knock off the Kaiser.
Attachments
carefree.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: The price of cigarettes

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:14 pm

That company, Liggett Myers Tobacco Co., is still selling them today. Now known as Liggett Vector Brands,
it sells 7 different brands, although not being a smoker anymore I didn't recognize any of the names.

Do you remember the "SP Packs" that had cigs, shaving gear and writing materials. Came in a big cardboard
box and it was all free to us in RVN. Don't remember where they came from, do you??

:USA:
Niner
Site Admin

Postby Niner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:29 pm

By the time I got to the SP packs all the good brands were gone. Just Kent and filterless Pall Mall's in the red pack. We use to call them Red Balls. Don't think they would actually turn your balls red.....but never really checked. :bigsmile:
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:17 pm

I smoked Pall Malls when I worked in a logging camp, they were cheapest, no filter.... :shock:
I started smoking menthols because there were always Salems left in the SP packs, when I got home I
started smoking Kools and then the last few years before I quit it was Marlboro menthols.
Quit in the late '80s, should have quit sooner.............. :roll:

:USA:
DuncaninFrance

Postby DuncaninFrance » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:38 am

I smoked 60 a day and quit in 1980. Breath better but put on weight :loco:
Local price for a pack of 20 Marlborough filter is about €7,30 / $8.70.
A lot of people now roll their own or have changed over to E cigarettes. Pipes used to very plentiful in France but I doubt I see one a week these days.............
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.

http://www.twgpp.org
http://www.andrewsinfrance.co.uk

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”